Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Part 2 - The Decision

WARNING: This chapter contains content rated PG-13! Read at your own risk!

After Kenzie left, Jillian spread out on the sofa as more sobs consumed her. She was tempted to stagger to a bar and get plastered, but she knew that wouldn’t take away her problems. At least, not permanently. She wasn’t entirely sure why she was crying so hard. Was it the fact that her boyfriend was a vampire? Was it because both he and her best friend had kept that from her, even if it was in her best interest? Or was it because she was afraid that she didn’t care and still felt strongly for Isaiah? More strongly than any other guy she’d been with.


Was this what love felt like? Confusion mixed with betrayal and suspicions? If so, she didn’t want any part of it. Pieces of the puzzle continued to fall into place in her mind. She’d figured out why Kenzie had been so skeptical of him when she’d introduced him in Starlight Shores. Now she realized why Isaiah always loaded up on more sunscreen than she’d ever seen Kenzie use, why he was always adamant to stay under a parasol on the beach, and why in Starlight Shores he’d had to keep going into stores to use the bathroom. No, he’d been getting out of the sun.

It felt like something out of a cheesy romance novel. She didn’t even know for sure what was real and what was a myth anymore. That scared her just as bad as the revelation itself.


Jillian sat up, trying to stifle the sobs threatening to escape her throat. Her cat, Muffy, looked at her curiously, not knowing what to do. The sun was beginning to set, plunging the valley into darkness. Normally the sunsets in the appropriately named Sunset Valley were a beautiful sight to behold. Now, with the sun down, Jillian wasn’t feeling very safe and secure. The darkness reminded her of scary movies from her childhood and teen years that involved monsters (several of them vampires).

Still, as she thought of Isaiah, she couldn’t think of one negative thing about him. He’d always been a perfect gentleman to her, had saved her life in Starlight Shores (with Kenzie’s help), and he was a nicer guy than anyone else she’d been with. And Kenzie, her best friend who never trusted her faith in men, had even defended his honor. It just made her more puzzled.

When the doorbell rang shrilly through the house, Jillian jumped so abruptly that Muffy took off in a frightened stupor. Jillian slowly made her way to the door, not knowing what to expect on the other side. She peeked through the window and saw a familiar figure.

Her first instinct was to answer the door and slam it in her visitor’s face. But that wouldn’t do any good, as Isaiah could easily overpower her and the door. So she gathered all the courage she could muster and opened the door. Isaiah stood there, bathed in the light of the slowly descending sun (yes, he’d actually come to see her before it was dark), looking gorgeous as ever. Her heart melted at the sight of him.


“Hey,” she said softly as she leaned against the doorjamb.

“Hi,” came his fretful reply.

“What are you doing here?”

“I just wanted to talk to you. I won’t come in unless you invite me.”

“There’s no spell on this house. Not yet.”

“I still won’t come in uninvited.”


Jillian bit her lip. Should she trust him? He’d given her no reason not to, other than keeping his species a secret from her. That still bothered her, but she couldn’t deny the pounding of her heart as she conspicuously stared at him, nor the happiness that enveloped her as she remembered all the good times they’d shared.

“Come in,” she said at last. She stepped back and Isaiah stepped into her home.

Isaiah looked down as if trying to think of what to say. He also kept his distance as though he were afraid of getting too close. Jillian looked away, unable to meet his intense, icy gaze.


Finally, to shatter the awkward silence, Isaiah began, “I’m sorry, Jillian. You have no idea how desperately I wanted to tell you this sooner. You have no idea how many times I almost did. I wanted to protect you, but I must confess that a lot of the reason for my silence is fear of your reaction. I didn’t want to lose you. I still don’t.”

Jillian looked Isaiah in the eyes. They made her knees turn to jelly.


“I don’t know about all this, Isaiah,” she finally said with a trembling lip. “I thought I’d finally found the perfect guy. You’re everything I ever wanted. You just seemed so perfect. And now…”

“I do have quite the flaw.”

“That’s not it. I mean, yeah, that’s a very big deal-changer, but…I don’t know. I just keep thinking of all the good times we’ve had and it’s like it doesn’t matter.”

“Jillian, I came here to talk to you about something important. You don’t have to say anything right away, or at all. I just want you to hear me out.”

“Okay…”

“You know now that I’ve lived for many years. I’ve never had such strong feelings for anyone before now. I don’t know what they are and I’m not sure what to make of them. But I do know that I don’t want to lose you. You’re like the light at the end of the dark tunnel that’s my life. The life I’ve had to endure for nearly a century alone because I never wanted it. There’s something about you, something special that I can’t comprehend. But just know that whatever your decision, I…”

“No, please.” Jillian held up her hand. “I can’t hear this right now. It’s too much.”

“I think you should know how I feel.”

“I think I already do. Please, not yet.”

Isaiah nodded sullenly. He’d been so close. He only had a few more words to get out and she would have heard it. But she’d endured so much already. He didn’t want to put her through any more trauma. He stayed silent as she trudged over to the couch and sat down in front of it, as though she had no energy left.


Jillian’s head was spinning. Was Isaiah really going to confess that he loved her? She’d just found out he was a vampire, and he was going to dump that bombshell on her? There was a limit to how much she could take.

“I’m sorry,” Isaiah finally stammered. “I didn’t mean to frighten you.”

Jillian looked up at Isaiah, bemused. She then stood up once more and walked closer to him.

“Isaiah,” she said, her voice barely above a whisper. “That’s not what scares me.”

“It’s what I am.”

“No, it’s not even that.”

“Then…what? What is it?”

“What scares me the most is that I’m not scared. I’ve been agonizing over this for days, and I just can’t stop thinking of how much I don’t care what you are. You’re still the same Isaiah Cavanaugh. You’ve never even drank blood in front of me, although I guess you technically couldn’t have before. But still, you’re nothing like…”

“I’m nothing like what vampires are portrayed to be. That’s because I want to live as normal of a life as possible, Jillian. I never wanted this life, but I made a promise to a good friend a couple of years ago that I’d make the most of it.”

Jillian surprised Isaiah then by approaching him and wrapping her arms around his waist. He returned the embrace gently. “I’m not afraid of you,” she whispered in his ear. “And that’s what scares me.”


Isaiah let go and held her at arm’s length. “I’d never hurt you, Jillian. I’d do anything to protect you. And like I said, whatever you decide, I’ll always…you know.”

“Sshh,” Jillian put a finger to Isaiah’s lips as she gently pushed him back toward the door. “Don’t ruin this. I’ve just told you that I don’t care what you are. You’re still the same Isaiah to me. And I don’t want to lose you, either. You may not be human, but you’re a better man than anyone I’ve ever known.”


Isaiah looked into Jillian’s eyes in wonder. He hadn’t been able to make his confession, and still she was accepting him as who, and what, he was. This woman was truly remarkable. How did he get so lucky?

“You’re the best person I’ve ever known,” he replied earnestly. “I was so afraid you’d flee like a startled fawn when you heard about this.”

“I almost did. But I think that would make me feel even worse. But to be honest, I think knowing this about you makes you more intriguing.”

Isaiah took a chance then. He gently clasped Jillian’s chin as he gazed into her eyes. He moved his lips closer to hers.


At first, Jillian hesitated. But she knew that Isaiah was the same man she’d been dating for the past few months, the same gentle, kind, sweet man, vampire or not. Knowing this, she let herself go and be taken away to a state of sensual bliss as Isaiah deepened the kiss.


Knowing what he was capable of made Jillian even more excited. She didn’t hesitate to tell this to Isaiah, who responded by picking her up as though she weighed no more than a piece of paper. She wrapped her legs around his waist and continued to savor his sweet, delectable kisses.


As the passion grew, their clothes shrunk. Or rather, they were discarded on the floor. Jillian’s first thought was that their first time having woohoo with her knowing that Isaiah was a vampire would be on her couch considering the rate they were going. But he surprised her by cradling her in his arms and, in one swift movement, jumping onto the balcony where her bed was. It felt like she was flying. It just increased the sensations she was already feeling.


Isaiah continued to savior Jillian’s mouth as he gently placed her upon the bed and eased himself on top of her. Because Jillian knew his deepest, darkest secret, he no longer had to hold back certain things. Like somewhat giving into his nature and gently running his mouth down her neck, causing her to moan in anticipation. He was half afraid she’d shove him off if he did this, but thankfully she did the opposite.


He felt his fangs beginning to elongate, and that’s when he backed off. That’s where he drew the line.

“What’s wrong?” Jillian breathed.

“I don’t want to hurt you.”

“If you were hurting me, you’d know it. It’s okay. You won’t break me.”

“Jillian…”

“Your teeth.”

“Shit!”

Isaiah scrambled off the bed, trying to force his fangs to retreat back into his gums. How embarrassing, and savage-like.

“Hey.” Jillian came up behind him and wrapped her arms around him. “It’s okay.”


Isaiah clasped her hands with one of his. “I’m sorry. I didn’t mean for that to happen.”

“Isaiah, you don’t have to be…so gentle.”

“What are you saying?”

“I’m saying it’s okay. I want you to.”

Isaiah spun around, his mouth agape. “You don’t know what you’re asking.”

“Yes, I do. I know who and what you are now and I want to experience all of it. It would be a first.”

“Jill…”

“Please? I know you want to. I can tell.”


Isaiah couldn’t believe his ears. Yes, he wanted to. He’d wanted to for a while now. After all, it was his nature, even if he didn’t want it. But the fact that Jillian was volunteering herself willingly? It was impossible to resist. What was wrong with him? He detested being a vampire, loathed himself for thinking such thoughts, and yet he gave in.

He kissed Jillian first to prepare her. He was, after all, still a gentleman. Then, he gently lowered her back onto the bed, where her neck lay exposed. Her eyes fluttered closed as he brushed aside a few stray locks of hair. He could see her jugular vein, but he wouldn’t hit that. Instead, he aimed below it, closer to her clavicle.


His teeth made contact with her flesh, puncturing the skin. Her sweet, succulent blood filled his mouth as he savored every last drop. Jillian squeezed his bare thigh with one hand and the bedspread with the other, but she didn’t make a sound. When he looked down at her, she smiled up at him. He couldn’t believe his good fortune.

Jillian sat up then and leaned down to kiss him, ignoring the puncture wounds in her neck that were still oozing a little bit of liquid. To her, that was an exciting experience. She’d never been bitten before, but because Isaiah was the aggressor, she didn’t mind. She wouldn’t mind doing it again, she admitted to herself guiltily.


Isaiah played along with Jillian until he once again climbed on top of her. She laughed playfully and at last, the games were over and the main event began. It was even better than before, though Jillian could tell that Isaiah was holding back so as not to hurt her. That part somewhat saddened her.


When it was over, Jillian lay contentedly in Isaiah’s arms. If someone had told her that she’d fall in love with a vampire, she never would have believed it. But now, wrapped in the arms of a vampire who most likely loved her back, she knew that there was no other place she’d rather be.

For the first time in a long time, she felt confident about her choice in a boyfriend. She felt safe, secure, and placid all at once, as well as protected and worshiped. She finally had a really good feeling about a relationship. She only hoped it lasted forever.


THE END

Previous Part

No comments:

Post a Comment