Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Chapter 1 - Haven

LifesABeach: How’s Moonlight Falls?

WolfKen: It’s really pretty, even though so far I’ve only seen the hotel. I just wish you could have come with me.

LifesABeach: So do I but I have to get my fashions up and running. I graduate this summer, too.

WolfKen: I can’t believe we both went back to college and we’re both graduating at the same time again.

LifesABeach: I’m just glad the ceremonies are held on different weekends so we can go to each other’s. Did you invite Austin and Cheyenne?

WolfKen: Of course I did. It might be the last party we have with them before they’re married.


Kenzie could hardly believe she typed that. Austin had confided in her and Jillian two weeks prior that he’d popped the question to Cheyenne. Even though they hadn’t known each other very long, it was clear that they were deeply in love. Austin, the hopeless romantic that he was, had, according to Cheyenne, taken her out to dinner for their one-year anniversary (which just happened to coincide with Love Day). When he’d started to drive her back home so they could exchange gifts, he’d taken a detour to the beach. Once there, Austin had barely been able to contain his excitement as he knelt on one knee and presented Cheyenne with a beautiful ring. Her eyes had lit up and shone as bright as the diamond in the golden band and she’d enthusiastically accepted.






The wedding plans were already underway, much to Jillian’s delight. She was already eagerly helping choose perfect bridesmaid dresses and wedding gowns (though Cheyenne had stated she wanted to wear her mother’s wedding dress) as well as new hairstyles.

Austin had proclaimed that he knew he and Cheyenne had only been together for a year but that they loved each other and they both realized they weren’t getting any younger. They were ready to settle down and start their lives with each other. Kenzie, though thrilled, felt a sharp pang of jealousy when she realized that Austin must love Cheyenne more than he’d ever loved her.

Maybe one day she’d meet a special guy just for her to make her as happy as Austin and Cheyenne made each other. And even Jillian and her vampire boyfriend Isaiah.


LifesABeach: Oh, I know! I have so many things to design and a wedding to help plan! Maybe I’ll design our bridesmaid dresses. Half the ones you see in stores look terrible anyway.

WolfKen: I’m sure anything you came up with would be ten times better than what they sell in stores.

LifesABeach: Thanks. So anyway, I meant to ask you, are you going to be buying some supernatural souvenirs? You can’t go to a convention without getting something.

WolfKen: Yeah, I’m looking forward to it. Honestly, I’m glad the supernatural creatures finally came forward with their existence. It must have been so hard for them having to hide like that. And it’s so nice that people actually embrace them. Now we can all learn more about them.

LifesABeach: I still can’t believe you knew Isaiah was a vampire the whole time and you didn’t tell me until after that big announcement.

WolfKen: I don’t want to get into that again, Jillian.

LifesABeach: I know, and I forgive you. I guess it just surprised me because I thought I really knew Isaiah and I only knew half of him. But things are good now. And I guess I should thank you for looking out for me.

WolfKen: You’re welcome.


Kenzie smiled to herself. She was very glad that things had worked out between Jillian and Isaiah despite the revelation that had occurred only about a month ago.

Finally, she looked at the clock and realized that now would be as good a time as any to check out the town of Moonlight Falls. It had originally been a haven for supernatural creatures, one where they could live and thrive in peace. But now, even humans lived in the lovely, if not slightly enigmatic, town. Kenzie was thrilled to be able to visit during spring break for a supernatural convention. Real supernatural creatures would be selling keepsakes like lucky charms, brooms, and all kinds of other things. Luckily, she had enough money stashed away to take this trip, and her parents had insisted on giving her more since, because she was working on getting her private investigator permit and didn’t currently have a job, she didn’t have the kinds of funds she used to.

WolfKen: Okay, well I better get off this thing and go exploring. I’m only here for a few days so I might as well enjoy it.

LifesABeach: That’s the spirit! And you better enjoy it! Don’t overanalyze anything and don’t turn anything into something bigger than it is like you usually do on vacations. Just enjoy yourself. I mean it or I’ll send Isaiah there to keep an eye on you.

WolfKen: Ha ha.


Kenzie chortled once more before signing out of her instant messenger. She turned around in her chair and looked at Sage, who was loyally lying on the queen-sized bed, gazing out the window.


“Hey, Sage,” she said with a grin. “How are you liking it here so far?”

Sage turned her head and wagged her tail in response. Kenzie smiled wider as she strolled over to the bed and plopped down on it, gazing at the canopy that hovered above her. It had been so long since she’d relaxed. Schoolwork had her buried as graduation drew near, and the holiday season had already come and gone. It was hard to believe a year had passed since her last spring break (though that one wasn’t particularly pleasant considering she’d had to deal with a narcissistic magician who’d kidnapped her best friend, not to mention she’d found out Jillian’s latest squeeze was a vampire...and had met Cheyenne and the first few social calls hadn’t been the most hospitable). Where had the time gone?


Kenzie glanced at the clock on the nightstand next to the bed again and saw that it was almost noon. She wasn’t quite hungry yet; at least, not for food. She was hungry for adventure. The convention that had lured her here was already going on. She couldn’t wait to see what all was offered.

In fact, Kenzie couldn’t remember the last time she’d been this excited to be on a vacation. The last one she’d taken was because she was persuaded to by Jillian. She’d just lost her job as a detective in Riverview due to a foolish conflict of interest, so she hadn’t been in a celebratory mood. Now, she’d come to Moonlight Falls of her own volition and intended to have fun. By now, surely a vacation she tried to take would be perfectly normal, right? Even if the reason for the vacation was a supernatural convention, hosted by real supernatural creatures.

Still, that was the new normal these days. And since that was the case, surely Kenzie could have a good vacation now, right? What could possibly go wrong this time?


No comments:

Post a Comment