Thursday, March 1, 2012

Chapter 13 - Decisions

The hospital room was done in tints of blue and aqua mixed in with white. It had geometric wallpaper and a bright tile floor. There were a couple of visitor's chairs and the bed was parallel to the window. A TV was mounted on the wall across the bed for the patient to watch while recovering.

In this particular case, the patient was Jillian, the victim of a breaking and entering gone bad when she'd been hit over the head with some sort of object and knocked unconscious. She would have most likely been killed had the police not arrived when they did, having gotten her 911 call and tracing her cell phone to her address.


Visiting hours were over, but since Kenzie was a well-known detective, she'd been able to convince the star-struck nurse to let her in to see her friend. Jillian was asleep, and Kenzie didn't want to wake her. So she sat in the chair and waited for her to wake up, feeling a little drowsy herself. She felt silly wearing her punk-looking consignment-store-bought shirt, though she had taken off her jacket and gloves. She almost fell asleep, but at last, Jillian stirred.

Her eyes fluttered open as Kenzie leaned forward in her chair eagerly. Jillian's eyes didn't have their usual sparkle, but she did manage to crack a smile when she saw Kenzie and said, "Nice shirt."

Kenzie chuckled. "I don't think it's my wardrobe we need to be discussing. How are you feeling?"

"Okay, considering. I've had better days."

"That makes two of us. I'm sorry I couldn't get to you in time."

Jillian turned over and threw the covers back. "No, I'm sorry. This is all my fault. You could have been killed tonight."


"I almost was."

Jillian's eyes bugged out of her head. "What?!"

"Long story. But first, I want to know what in the world happened to you. The chief didn't tell me much."

"I was just eating, and Drake and some girl broke in. I was pretty upset because I was worried about you after reading that note you left. I should have called the police right away and told them to go get you, but I was afraid they wouldn't listen to me. But then those two broke in and I had my phone in my pocket, so I dialed 911 and said someone broke in. Of course, they threw the phone somewhere, but I guess that didn't break it since the police were able to trace it and come get me."

"How did you get knocked out?"

"I was asking Drake what he thought he was doing, and then I felt something hard hit me in the back of the head. Then I don't know what happened."

"That must have been Destiny hitting you with something."

"Destiny?"

"Yeah, she was the girl with Drake. I got the liberty of meeting the whole gang tonight."

Jillian tried to sit up, but ended up laying back down as the throbbing pain in her head became more prominent.

"What did they do to you?" she asked.

"Well, I checked out the warehouse and found the hidden room where they keep all their stolen goods. I started taking pictures of the stuff and someone knocked me out too. When I woke up, I found myself in a locked chain-link cage. Drake told me I wasn't getting out of there alive. It took some of my brain power to get out of there, plus a little help from my Sim Fu training."

"You have to teach me some of those moves."

"I think I should, just for your own safety. But I got out, drove to your place because Drake said he was going to...do something to you for talking to me. When I got there, I found the police all over the place. When I heard where you were, I drove straight here."

"You didn't tell the police what happened to you?"

"No, I just told them to get to the warehouse and find my camera, since it had all the pictures on it. I didn't even think to tell them what happened to me. I was too worried about you."


Tears stung Jillian's eyes. "You really are a great friend. I don't deserve you. I'm such an idiot, always getting myself into trouble, and then getting the people I really care about in trouble...the people that matter anyway..."

"Stop it. This isn't your fault. I mean, yeah, your choice in guys sucks, but it's not your fault that gang chose to steal and attempt murder. That isn't on you. But I have to ask - why didn't you call the police as soon as you read my note? You said it was because you were afraid they wouldn't believe you, but...were you also afraid you'd have to tell them how you knew everything you were telling them?"

Jillian turned away. "Yeah, but I've come to a decision about that."

"Jill, I'm sorry, but my hands are tied. The only way to really put all this behind us and move forward is for me to tell the police the complete truth."

"You're not going to tell them anything."

Kenzie began to argue, but Jillian cut in, "Because I am."

Kenzie raised her eyebrows. "What?"

"You heard me. It's my job, and my responsibility, to tell the police what happened. And who knows, maybe I won't have to go to jail. I'll just give the police all the money and tell them everything."

Before Kenzie could reply, there was a knock on the door and it cracked open. Chief Hudson poked his head in.

"Hello, ladies," he said as he stepped in and closed the door behind him. "I hope I'm not interrupting."


"No, this is a great time," Jillian said. "Because I have something I need to tell you."

"Well, first, I'd like to say that we went to the warehouse and found that secret room where all the stolen goods were stashed. Some joker left the wall-door open for us, and we found the whole gang not far from that room. They're all in lock-up. You were right about most gangs not being composed of very smart members, Ms. Howell."

"Finally, some good news," Kenzie said with relief.

"We also found your camera," James said as he took a seat in the other chair. "I guess they didn't think to trash it even though it held crucial evidence that could nail them. It's in evidence right now."

"Good. But I'd like it back when you're done with it."

"Of course, Detective."

Kenzie stared at James. He was actually treating her with respect and authority now that he knew she was telling the truth.

She couldn't resist. "I didn't do too bad for a kid, huh?"

James blushed. "Sorry about that. I've got two teenagers at home, and they're always telling me crazy stories. I guess I was tired of listening to words and wanted to see something real. I owe you an apology, Ms. Howell."

"Maybe you can do me a favor instead."

"Like what?"

"My friend here has something she needs to tell you, and I'd like to ask that she not be thrown in jail since her actions were only because she was fearing for her life."

"Uh...okay...I'd have to hear the story first, though."


Kenzie turned to Jillian, who nodded her aching head, and began her tale. She told James everything, from when she met Drake, to when she discovered his gang activity and his threats, and up to the money she'd received as pay off for her silence. She added that she'd turn over all the money to the police and even return everything she'd bought with it (if it hadn't just been used to pay bills).

Hudson scratched his chin. "Well, Ms. Swansen, I'd have to run this by someone of higher authority before I can determine whether or not to arrest you. But I will put in a good word for you."

"Mention my name and give my boss a call too," Kenzie added. "I'm sure he'll agree." She gave James her boss's phone number.

"All right, well, I'll do my best," James said as he entered the digits into his cell phone. "Ms. Howell, I need a statement from you as well, preferably in private."

"Go ahead, Kenzie," Jillian said. "I'll wait."

Kenzie didn't want to leave Jillian, but she knew she had to tell James what had happened to her, and if he preferred it to be told in private, that would be better. So she stood up and they  both walked out the door.


********************

"This feels great!" Kenzie sighed contentedly as she soaked in Jillian's hot tub.

"Yeah," Jillian agreed as she leaned back. "We better get full use out of this hot tub since I won't have it much longer. But I never used it that much anyway. It was all Mona's idea, mostly for entertaining guys."


Kenzie's bargain with the chief had come through, as well as her and her boss's influence. Jillian would not be charged as an accessory to robbery or breaking and entering, but she would be required to hand over all the money given to her by the gang, as well as pay a pretty hefty fine for keeping quiet. She wouldn't go to jail since she'd feared for her life and had been threatened.

As a result, Jillian had begun selling several things in her house, the latest of which was the hot tub. She and Kenzie were getting one final use out of it before it was taken away. From the way things were looking, Jillian may even lose the house she'd grown to love so much, and maybe even her car as well that she'd been given as a college graduation present. These facts devastated her, but she'd rather have to sell her belongings than go to jail. Justice had been served to her, but for Kenzie, it was extra hard because it was to someone she deeply cared about.

The Komodo Dragons had all been booked on breaking and entering and robbery, while Drake and Destiny had been booked on attempted murder as well. Kenzie had gotten her camera back and the gang was all behind bars, not particularly enjoying their new hangout. All the stolen belongings had been returned to their rightful owners. The mayor of Sunset Valley had extended special thanks to Kenzie for her help.

Now, all that was left to do was enjoy the rest of her vacation. Kenzie and Jillian had been spending more time at the beach, as well as checking out some of the town's low-end clubs. Kenzie had also taken lovely souvenir pictures with her returned camera (her cell phone had also been found and returned, and she'd taken her stealthy disguise back to the consignment store), and been keeping in touch with her parents, but unfortunately she couldn't hide what had happened from them, since the story had been posted in every newspaper around. Jillian's family had also heard, and according to Kenzie's parents, they weren't too pleased.

"You should really think about going back to Riverview and seeing your family," Kenzie said as the bubbles made her entire body feel tranquil. "Or at least call them more often. They miss you."

"I know. I have to admit, I miss them too. I haven't heard from them in a long time, and last I heard, Hunter and Alexis don't visit that often."

"Yeah, Hunter's busy trying to make it big in Bridgeport, and Alexis is enjoying Barnacle Bay. I'm not even sure what she's doing."


Jillian sighed thoughtfully. "I'll tell you one thing. My family will be there for me more than any guy ever will. I'm going to stop getting myself into bad relationships and focus on more important things. It's nice to have someone to share things with who makes you feel special, but that doesn't have to be a boyfriend. It can be a best friend, like you."

"Thanks, Jill. I feel the same way. Of course, guys are great and all, if you're lucky enough to get a good one, but for us, our families are the best. Not everyone can say they have a great family that will love and support them no matter what they do. We have that, and for me, that's enough."

"It's enough for me too, now. And I will go back to Riverview to visit, as soon as I get some extra money for the trip."

"It's on me. Whenever you want to come, let me know and I'll pay your way."

"Thanks, but I'd like to try to do it myself first. Plus, I have to make sure I can still pay the bills on this place without a roommate, because I doubt I'll get one now that everyone knows I was involved with a gang, even if I wasn't a member. I'll look for one, but I won't hold my breath."

"Well, I wish you luck."

"Thanks. And Kenzie? Thanks for your help with everything. You didn't just solve another case, but you made me realize the mistakes I've made in the past, and have given me the inspiration to change myself for the better, at least when it comes to guys. Thank you, really."

"You're very welcome.  And if you ever need anything, no matter what, even if it's a case, let me know. But don't leave me in the dark."

"Deal."

********************

The month passed quickly, and before long, it was time for Kenzie to return to Riverview. She hated leaving Jillian behind, especially since she now desperately needed a roommate so that she could keep her house, but Jillian insisted on making it on her own without the help of her best friend or a gang. But she did promise to keep in touch.

"Say hi to my family for me," she said as she hugged Kenzie on the day she was to leave.

"I will. Take care of yourself."

"You bet."


The two friends were crying as they said their final goodbyes and Kenzie climbed into her car and drove away. Jillian waved to her until she couldn't see her anymore. Kenzie hoped Jillian would get along all right on her own, but she'd offered to help her if she ever needed it.


As she drove, Kenzie thought of what Jillian had said. She was determined to change for the better, but she wasn't the only one. Kenzie would begin living life a little more, and not just having her job and books as a means of entertainment. She'd be more fearless and carefree, but not foolishly so. After all, you only get one chance at life. You should live it to its fullest.

No comments:

Post a Comment