Sunday, March 30, 2014

Chapter 8 - Nature of the Beast

WARNING: This chapter contains graphic woohoo material that isn't suitable for readers/viewers under 13.

When Kenzie returned to the cabin, she saw that Hayden had moved the furniture around and was doing push-ups and crunches on the floor without a shirt. Kenzie found this very distracting.



“What are you doing?” Kenzie inquired as she and Sage walked through the door.

Hayden looked up, his biceps dripping with sweat, and smiled in greeting.

“I’m working out,” he replied. “Taking a break from typing and keeping my muscles limber. Any new leads on the case?”

“Yeah, something I could have gone the rest of my life not knowing about, but whatever.”

“Oh?”

Kenzie briefly ran through all she’d discovered that afternoon, even including the ménage à trois she didn’t want to see spiraling around in her head.

“Damn,” Hayden said when she’d concluded. “I thought Austin was the most experimental person I’d ever met, just because he’s a scientist.”


Kenzie chuckled as Hayden reached for a towel to wipe the sweat off his chiseled body.

“Yeah,” she said at last, “it was something I didn’t need to know.”

“Well, do you think Lauren’s still a suspect?”

“Yeah, I do. It just seems weird that she was where the fence was broken, which seems to be where Tristan got kidnapped. Plus it’s on the outskirts of the park, so someone could easily sneak in and out there without being noticed. But Sage didn’t react when she saw her, except to growl at her because she was snarling at me.”

“Kenzie, as part canine, I can assure you that if Tristan’s scent had been on Lauren, Sage would have picked up on it. Unless, of course, she’d changed her clothes, which is a likely possibility because it’s been how long since this kid got taken.”


Kenzie hadn’t considered that. But it made perfect sense. Sage grunted as if to confirm Hayden’s assessment.

“I wish I knew where she lives,” she affirmed. “It would be stupid, but there’s a strong possibility that if she did take Tristan, she’d be hiding him in her house. Except she doesn’t live here; Bryce said she’s from Isla Paradiso.”

“Well,” Hayden contributed, “no ransom has been asked for, right?”

“Yeah…why kidnap a kid and not ask for ransom? It’s not money the kidnapper wants…it’s something else.”

“Like what?”

“I don’t know. And it’s driving me crazy.”

“Well, there’s one possibility that I should have thought of before.”

“What’s that?”

“Well, Kenzie, I know how much you prefer to do things on your own when it comes to your job. But…well, kidnappings are ticking clocks. You know that. It’s been almost three days since Tristan’s disappeared. I think you could use some help.”

“Are you offering your services? You did say you could be my bodyguard.”

“True, but I was thinking more of…Paige.”


Kenzie furrowed her brow. “Paige? Why?”

“She’s a witch, and she can do locator spells. I bet she could find him quick.”

“But…”

“I know you want to do it yourself. And I completely respect that. And I know you can do it, believe me. But you’re very worried about what could happen, aren’t you? Plus this is an innocent little kid we’re talking about here who can’t take care of himself. He’s only five. There’s no shame in asking for help. Nothing’s wrong with that. You could think of Paige as a temporary partner on this one.”

Kenzie hated to admit it, but Hayden was right. Yes, she always did want to solve her own cases, never with a partner, but time was of the essence here. And since she didn’t know where Lauren lived, she had no other choice. Surely she hadn’t taken a five-year-old child back to Isla Paradiso with her and not even asked for ransom, if only to reimburse her for the cost of gas.

But if Lauren was responsible for Tristan’s abduction, what was her motive? Obviously not money. But what did that leave?

“Shit,” Hayden said suddenly, causing Kenzie to jolt out of her trance. “It’s getting dark already.”

“So?”

“You didn’t check the calendar, did you? That’s another reason I’m exercising – getting ready for later. It’s a full moon tonight.”


Kenzie looked outside and saw the sun beginning to set, though she had forgotten about the full moon. Hayden would inadvertently transform into his werewolf state in a matter of hours.

And suddenly, that gave Kenzie an idea.

“Fine,” she said, “I’ll call Paige, but only because I have a little something special planned for tonight.”

“Tonight? Kenzie, I just said…”

“I don’t care. I’ve told you countless times that it doesn’t bother me when you transform.”

“Yeah, but I hate when you see me like that.”

“Why?”

“Because it’s repressive and, quite frankly, unattractive.”

“That’s your opinion. Trust me, you’ll appreciate this.”

Kenzie didn’t let Hayden argue more. She just grabbed her cell phone and called Paige, who assured her that she’d get to Aurora Skies as soon as possible, though it would likely be very late that night even if she took her broom to save on time.

But that would give Kenzie ample opportunity to execute her plan.


As the night continued to descend, Hayden prepared for his transition and Kenzie prepared for her surprise. She didn’t know how well Hayden would take to it, but it was worth a shot.

Funny, it might have been her ex-fiance’s amorous confession that sparked her courage in even considering this.

At last, it was dark. Kenzie instructed Sage to wait at the cabin while she led Hayden outside and into the woods.

“Where are we going?” Hayden asked dubiously.

“You’ll see,” Kenzie replied. Hayden was already suspicious because Kenzie was wearing her robe again. Thankfully it was a nice spring evening so she didn’t have to worry about the temperature getting too cold.

“I’m going to be transforming soon,” Hayden continued in a worrisome tone.

“Don’t worry about that. I just had an idea and since I need to wait for Paige to get here, tonight’s perfect.”

Kenzie finally stopped walking and spread out a blanket she’d brought with her. She then lay down on it and motioned for Hayden to join her. He did skeptically, and she curled up next to him.


“Okay,” Hayden said, “what now?”

“I just thought it would be really romantic to be together on a full moon under the stars. I thought we could watch the stars and clouds, maybe see if we can find some constellations. When I was a kid, I was always able to make out shapes in clouds. Actually, I still can, somewhat.”

“Okay, so why don’t you tell me what you see up there now?”

Kenzie looked up and watched the clouds slowly drift across the sky while shimmering stars poked through them like diamonds.


“That one looks like a giant hand,” she said.

“What? Where?”

“Look,” Kenzie pointed toward the cloud. “That roundish part is the palm, and those little bits coming out of it look like the fingers.”


Hayden looked closer and then laughed. “No kidding. I can see it now. How do you do that?”

“I don’t know. It’s a gift, I guess. I’ve always been able to see things in clouds.”

“Well, that’s pretty clever. I’ve spent a lot of time outside, but I never really paid attention to the clouds.”

“What about the stars?”

“Not particularly. But I do see one really bright star.”

“Where?”

“I’m looking at it.”

Kenzie turned and found Hayden staring at her instead of the sky.


She smiled as Hayden wrapped an arm around her and held her face in his hand.

“How am I a star?” she inquired.

“You just are. You look past what I am, and you’re so beautiful. Your eyes are brighter than any star up there.”

“Oh, Hayden.”

Hayden silenced her with a kiss.


And that was when Kenzie realized she needed to clear her conscience. She couldn’t very much ask Hayden what she wanted to if she was keeping something from him.

“Hayden,” she began, “there’s something I need to tell you.”

But before she got the chance to, Hayden’s face contorted into discomfort.

“Damn it,” he groaned. It was time. The transition from man to beast was upon him. He stood up and gripped his head, not unlike he did the first time Kenzie witnessed his transformation in Moonlight Falls. Then he fell to the ground as the moon consumed him. When it was over, his claws and lower canines had elongated, his face and body were a great deal hairier, and his ears were slightly pointed.




Yet Kenzie still found him to be heart-stoppingly handsome. And since she knew this was going to happen, she wasn’t caught off-guard like before.

“Ugh, don’t look at me,” Hayden said. “I don’t like you to see me like this.”

“And I already told you, I don’t care. Hayden, sit down.”

“Kenzie…”

“Don’t make me treat you like a dog if that’s what you’re so worried about being. Sit, boy.”

Hayden had to chortle at that before finally obliging. “Okay, what did you have to tell me?”

“I haven’t been one hundred percent honest with you.”

“About?”

“Bryce.”


Hayden furrowed his eyebrow questioningly. “What do you mean?”

“I didn’t want to tell you before because I was so scared of what you might think. I was so afraid of what might happen. But this isn’t something I should keep from you. I don’t want us to keep secrets from each other.”

“Really? And you’re choosing to make this big confession now, while I’m transformed?”

“I know you won’t hurt me.”

“Not intentionally. But it’s in my nature to hunt, Kenzie.”

“Screw your nature. You’re just trying to make me afraid of you like this because you hate looking like that in front of me. I’m going to prove to you that I don’t give a shit about it. Now listen. I told you that Bryce was an ex-boyfriend from college, remember?”

“Yeah.”

“Well, he was a little…more than that.”

“Okay…”

“Hayden, Bryce and I…we were…we were engaged.”


There. She’d said it. Her conscience was clear. But was she in the clear?

Hayden seemed to be analyzing this declaration. Kenzie said nothing, allowing him to process it in full.

When at last he spoke, he had but one question – “Why didn’t you tell me?”

“I told you, because I was afraid of what you might think. That…”

“You were afraid I’d break up with you.”

Kenzie bit her lip, looked down, and nodded wordlessly. She could feel tears beginning to prick her eyes, but she forced them back into her head.

Then, to her surprise and relief, Hayden moved closer to her and held her in his arms.


“What…?” she stammered.

“Kenzie, I told you…”

“Hayden, I know wolves are monogamous, but you’re not a full-blooded wolf, okay? And I love wolves, but it’s not in my blood. I didn’t cheat on you, so yes I’m still monogamous, but I should have told you before.”

“I don’t care what happened in your past, Kenzie. The bastard hurt you and you were smart enough to get out of that instead of doing the opposite like a lot of women in your position do. But like you said, you didn’t cheat. It’s in the past.”

“But it doesn’t bother you that at one point in my life, I was engaged to someone else who’s now a major factor in my current case?”

“No, I don’t give a shit. I can tell you’re over him. Why are you trying to convince me to not trust you or to be angry?”

“That’s the last thing I want. I just figured you would be mad…”

“Because some other dick probably got pissed at you about it. Kenzie, I’m not like other guys. You know that. And do you want to know the real reason I don’t care what happened in your life before I came along, at least in the relationship department? It’s more than the wolf thing. Kenzie, I love you.”

It was the first time he’d said those words.


Kenzie slid off Hayden’s lap to look into the genuine sincerity and adoration in Hayden’s mint green eyes. Her own eyes began to swell with tears of joy as she wrapped her arms around him and said, “I love you too, Hayden. I’ve never loved anyone this way. I’ve wanted to tell you for so long, but I didn’t want to come on too strong.”

Confessing her feelings of true love was a fleeting experience. It was like a weight had been lifted off her shoulders, larger than the burdensome weight that had been crushing her before she’d confessed the truth about Bryce.

“You could never come on too strong,” Hayden broke into her thoughts. “Now, will you please tell me why you’re wearing that robe out here?”

“Oh…well, that was another part of the surprise.”

“Okay…”

Kenzie sat up and, in an attempt to be seductive, slowly pulled the top of her robe back to reveal the special attire she was wearing underneath. Hayden’s eyes bugged out as she removed the robe altogether and sat there, mute, in another risqué getup.


“Kenzie,” Hayden said, his tone somewhat different than the previous two times he’d seen her dressed like this. “Why do you keep trying to seduce me with lingerie? You don’t need to.”

“I know, but I want to. I mean, it’s not something I’ve ever done before…”

“Let me rephrase that. Why are you trying to seduce me on the night of the full moon?”

“Because I think it would be romantic to make love under the light of a full moon out in the open, in the woods…”

“I can’t. No way.”

“Why not?”

“Kenzie, look at me. Why do you possibly find me attractive like this? Besides, given my animalistic instincts, I don’t trust myself not to hurt you.”


Kenzie had somewhat anticipated this reaction. Of course Hayden was worried about hurting her. But she trusted him and she knew he wouldn’t lose control of himself. If Isaiah could maintain control with Jillian, surely Hayden could maintain control with her. And she didn’t hesitate to inform him of this.

“Thanks for the mental image of your best friend with her vampire boyfriend,” he replied, “but it’s just…”

“Hayden, you just told me you loved me. You wouldn’t have told me that if you weren’t sure you could control yourself.”

Hayden sighed. “I don’t want you to think I don’t want to…”

“Then don’t. Don’t make me think that. Just…relax.”

So Kenzie took on the role of the predator rather than the prey as she crawled toward Hayden and pushed him down onto the blanket, all while kissing him tenderly, fangs and all.


It took a little bit of convincing, but finally, Hayden succumbed and added another first to Kenzie’s list. And to add to the magic, the legendary multi-colored lights that were Aurora Skies’ namesake made their appearance. It was perfect.

Now all that was left to do was solve the case.


No comments:

Post a Comment