Sunday, March 9, 2014

Chapter 2 - Arrival

At last, Friday arrived. Kenzie felt like the week would never end. She still received no calls from potential clients, so she had no way to kill time other than writing stories she hoped to eventually get published.

The plus side was that if she didn’t have clients paying her, she still received stipends. So at least she wasn’t starving, and she wasn’t at risk of losing her house or anything either due to bad credit.

Kenzie drove her plum-colored Requiescence through Aurora Skies with Sage sitting in the front seat.


Hayden had given her the GPS coordinates to his parents’ cabin. The houses in Aurora Skies so far seemed to be monotonous and bland. She hoped the cabin wouldn’t be the same way, as it would seem like she was drowning in white stucco.

But alas, once she did arrive at the cabin, she saw that it was a cozy-looking cottage of timber, shrouded in trees and secluded like Hayden had stated. She got out of the car and got a better look at it.


It looked inviting and family-friendly. She could make out a treehouse and swingset in the backyard, which surprised her considering it had been years since Hayden and his older brother had been children.

Kenzie ascended the stairs, Sage trotting beside her, and knocked on the door (obviously no doorbell was needed at this place). She heard shuffling inside and then the door swung open so she was standing face-to-face with her boyfriend.

“You’re here!” Hayden exclaimed as he wrapped his arms around her and lifted her off her feet into the house.


“I’m here!” Kenzie replied as she touched her lips to Hayden’s. She’d missed his touch so much. Long distance relationships were so difficult. It was like finding herself again every time she and Hayden could physically be together.

“Hey, Sage,” Hayden greeted Kenzie’s dog. She wagged her tail fervently as she allowed him to scratch her belly.


“So, this is the place,” Kenzie ascertained as she surveyed the room. The interior looked cozy and as homey as the exterior. The furnishings all seemed to be made from timber and white birch wood. There was a table with four dining chairs parallel to a window, a living space with a fireplace and TV, and a hallway leading to what Kenzie assumed were two bedrooms and a bathroom.

“Yeah, this is it,” Hayden affirmed. “I haven’t been here in a while. The last time was when Ellis was fifteen and I was thirteen. Then our parents just started coming here on their own since we were old enough to stay home alone in Moonlight Falls.”

“You haven’t been back since…what happened?”

“Well, not for fun. Ellis and I came back one weekend to kind of clean things up. We were going to sell the place, so we changed all the bedding, cleaned all the windows, repaired any busted appliances, things like that. But then after all that, we decided not to sell it after all. Ellis really doesn’t care one way or the other, but I loved coming here as a kid. It would be too hard to just give it away to someone else, even if I made money off of it.”

“I understand. That’s kind of how I was when I first moved out of my parents’ house. I was ready, but at the same time, I was scared.”


Hayden nodded understandingly. “I could tell at your graduation, you and your parents are very close.”

“Yeah, and I guess a lot of that comes from being an only child.”

“Now I’m envious.”

“Don’t be. A lot of times I wished I had a little sister. Jillian was like a sister to me I guess, but she was my best friend, so we didn’t live together or anything. It wasn’t quite the same.”

“Please. If you had to be a sibling to Ellis, you’d want to be an only child more than anything.”


Kenzie shook her head with a snicker. Hayden grinned and then said, “How about a tour?”

“Sure.”

“First off, there’s no Internet connection here. Considering we all came here for family retreats, and we were a pack of werewolves who ran through the woods a lot, we had no need for it. Second, the TV? No cable considering no one’s been here in a while, so there was no need to pay for the service.”

“That’s okay. I don’t plan to be watching much TV.”

“Oh? What do you plan on doing?”

“Exploring Aurora Skies, checking out the new amusement park, seeing you in action as a reporter. Things like that.”

“You know, they have a hot air balloon station here…”

“I draw the line at that. I’m terrified of heights.”

“I’ll be with you. Do you really think I’d let anything happen to you?”

“Of course not.”


Hayden gently cradled Kenzie’s chin in his hand, making her heart race.

“I have a little something for you,” he said suddenly.

“What? Hayden, you really need to stop spoiling me with gifts.”

“Never. Besides, this is a Love Day present.”

Hayden disappeared into a room down the hall, and when he re-emerged, he was holding a box in his hand and wearing a mischievous grin on his handsome face.

“What is it?” Kenzie asked curiously.

“Open it.”


Kenzie rolled her eyes but took the box Hayden offered to her. She tugged at the ribbon until it came loose, allowing her to remove the lid from the box. Inside, nestled on a base of maroon velvet, was a set of jewelry – silver dangling earrings and a matching necklace with soft pink stones embedded in them.

“Hayden,” Kenzie gasped, trying to hold back her tears of joy as though she were a love-struck teenager. “This is…this is amazing. They’re so beautiful. Thank you!”

“You’re very welcome. And you’re worth it.”

“But…I don’t know what…”

Kenzie stopped short and bit her lip. She was going to say that she didn’t have anything for Hayden, mostly because she had no idea what to get him. Something wolf-related would be cliché, shopping for men’s clothes was a nightmare (even if she had help), and giving him jewelry or cologne seemed too feminine.

But she did remember one thing she’d brought with her in an act of bravery. Not that she was a coward, but she was shy about certain things…like what she was about to break out later.

“What?” Hayden inquired inquisitively.

“I was going to say I didn’t have anything for you, but I do have something. It’s just…well, I’d rather wait until tonight to give it to you.”


Hayden raised an eyebrow in suspicion before reaching out and taking Kenzie’s hands in his. “You didn’t have to get me anything.”

“I know, but I wanted to. And it’s really not much.”

“I don’t care. You being here with me is enough of a present. Happy Love Day.”

“Happy Love Day.”


The two leaned in for a tantalizing, sensual kiss. Kenzie didn’t want the feeling to end, but alas, it had to, because Hayden was in Aurora Skies for a job. So with slight regret, the two parted, Hayden grabbed his camera and notepad while Kenzie put on her jewelry, and they both piled into his car. Unfortunately, pets weren’t allowed at the amusement park, so Sage had to stay behind. Kenzie promised to make it up to her later. And Hayden promised to make their first Love Day together one to remember.

And as Kenzie looked out the window at the lush landscape of Aurora Skies, she just knew in her heart that Hayden would live up to his promise. And she couldn’t wait to enjoy her vacation with him. This was going to be the best vacation she’d ever taken. Nothing could possibly go wrong.


No comments:

Post a Comment