Sunday, May 26, 2013

Part 3 - The Party

NOTE: This part contains strong language and violence. Please read at your own risk!

To say this situation was awkward was an understatement. Hayden and Isaiah had managed to behave themselves during the entire ceremony, and they’d somewhat called a truce since working together in Moonlight Falls. They’d also both agreed to be civil during the graduation party for Kenzie’s benefit...and for her parents, considering they had no idea Kenzie was friends with supernatural creatures...yet. Plus they didn’t have a spell on their house to prevent supernaturals from going inside, so they’d never suspect anything.

Things were starting to fall apart and Kenzie hadn’t even left her house yet.


“Uh...hi, guys,” Kenzie said ineptly. “We were just heading over.”

“Your mom was getting worried,” Jillian said, though she didn’t seem to mind at all that Kenzie’s hand was clasped in Hayden’s. Kenzie almost thought she saw an amused grin on her face. “She thought you were going to come right over and help set things up but you didn’t. And when I showed up without you, she figured you weren’t with me, so we offered to come over here and see what was keeping you.”

The werewolf and vampire were staring each other down. Isaiah’s lips were taught, his eyes seeming to glow more ominously than usual. Hayden seemed to be more nervous than anything, probably because he didn’t want this day to suddenly go south with a supernatural brawl.

“Well, thanks,” Kenzie managed to say. “You know how Mom gets these days with her midlife crisis. We’re on our way right now.”

“And...” Isaiah began to say something but Jillian nudged him, halting his words. He shut up, though he was clearly struggling to control his pent-up hostility he felt toward the werewolf standing across from him. Kenzie squeezed Hayden’s hand harder and, holding her head high and proud, strolled down the porch steps and walked in the direction of her parents’ house.


Kenzie had a hunch she knew exactly what Isaiah was wanting to say. But she didn’t want to hear it, nor did she need to. Not now. Not when she was supposed to be celebrating. Besides, she still had another barrier to contend with – her parents had no idea that she and her best friend were dating supernatural creatures.

But they’d inevitably find out, of course. When they reached the house, Kenzie rang the doorbell as though she were a guest. Her mother answered it, creases of worry making her appear frail.


“Kenzie!” she exclaimed as the wrinkles dissipated from her face. “I’m so glad you’re here! I was getting worried.”

“I know, Mom. I’m sorry. I got...tied up.”

She heard a snort from behind her. She whirled around to see the smug, arrogant look on Isaiah’s face. She scowled at him and Jillian elbowed him again.

“But anyway,” Kenzie continued, turning back to Constance, “I’m here now.”

“Good. Everyone else should be here pretty soon. Come on in, everyone.”

Everyone shuffled into the house, and as soon as the door was closed, Constance pounced, as Kenzie knew she would.

“I see a face I don’t recognize. Well, I met Isaiah earlier when Jillian brought him over, but I don’t know this young man.”

Constance indicated Hayden. Hayden smiled and held out his hand. “Hello, Mrs. Howell. I’m Hayden. It’s nice to meet you, officially. I’m sorry we didn’t really get to introduce ourselves during the ceremony.”


“Hello, Hayden,” Constance replied as she returned the handshake. “It’s nice to meet you. You must be the Hayden that Jillian mentioned.”

Kenzie groaned and this time sent her death glare toward her best friend. Hayden just chuckled and said, “Yeah, I imagine I probably am.”

Just then, Kenzie’s father came into the room.

“I thought I heard voices,” Russ stated as he surveyed the guests. “Hey, everybody.”


Everyone exchanged greetings and Hayden introduced himself to Russ. The doorbell rang again and Constance invited Austin and Cheyenne inside. She then vacated the room to get the camera while Russ went outside to start the grill.

Not long after, the doorbell rang again and the rest of Kenzie’s family arrived. Hugs and greetings were tossed around before everyone headed out to the table in the backyard. On the plus side, the table wasn’t big enough for everyone (even smaller than the picnic table her parents had temporarily replaced for the occasion, along with vinyl lawn chairs), so Isaiah opted to eat inside out of the sun (though he didn’t explain why), so that kept him out of Kenzie’s hair for the time being. Jillian, of course, stayed with him, and since there was still room at the kitchen table, Austin and Cheyenne joined them. So Kenzie was left outside with her family and (unbeknownst to them) werewolf boyfriend.


“So, Kenzie,” her uncle Dan said. “Now that you’re officially a PI, what are your plans?”

“I guess to get my name out there so people know they can hire me, and I could try to put up flyers or something at the police station and city hall. Even though I didn’t part on the best terms with my last boss, I should be able to advertise.”

“Don’t forget to put something in the paper too,” Hayden contributed. “Take out an ad or something, and I’m writing that article too.”

“Good idea,” Constance beamed. “You two make such a cute couple.”

“Mom!” Kenzie lowered her head to the table. She could feel her cheeks heating up. Was it a mother’s job to always embarrass her kids? Even if she only had one?

Hayden laughed again. “Kenzie, I don’t think it’s much of a secret now. We might as well tell them.”

Kenzie looked up and nodded. She squeezed Hayden’s hand under the table as she looked at her parents. “Yeah, a permit isn’t the only thing I got today,” she said. “I also got myself a boyfriend.”


Russ raised his eyebrows but Constance just simpered. “I had a feeling. That’s great news, Kenzie. I’m happy for you.”

“Yeah, congrats,” Russ added. Kenzie heaved a sigh of relief. Hayden and her dad would undoubtedly get along well. They both loved fishing (though Hayden sometimes used his claws rather than a pole) and being outside.

Unfortunately, that was the third good thing that had to come to an end today. At that moment, Isaiah came outside and sent Kenzie an admonishing look.

“So it’s official?” he asked from the back porch as he glared down at her and her family.


Kenzie shot him another look as Jillian shuffled onto the porch and grasped her boyfriend’s shoulders. “Yes, it is. What of it?”

“Nothing. I just didn’t know, and I want to congratulate you both.”

Kenzie furrowed her brow and she felt Hayden’s grip tighten on her hand. Obviously Isaiah was acting civil for the benefit of Kenzie’s family. He wasn’t fooling her.

Nevertheless, to prevent suspicion, she said, “Thanks.”

“You heard that clear inside?” her uncle Jack asked.

Isaiah seemed to be taken aback. Of course. A human wouldn’t have heard them talking clear outside...

“It’s a nice day,” Kenzie attempted, “I bet Mom has the screen door up and the regular door open.”

“Actually, I forgot about the screen,” Constance replied.

Shit. Things were starting to go downhill, and fast.

“Isaiah, let’s go back inside,” Jillian urged.


Isaiah obviously thought this was the best thing to do, so he said a half-hearted congratulations again before disappearing back inside. Jillian shot Kenzie an apologetic and sympathetic look before following him and closing the door.

“What was that all about?” Kenzie’s aunt Natalie inquired. Kenzie shrugged. She honestly had no explanation to offer. She didn’t know what to say.

“Weird how he managed to hear what you said from inside,” Dan observed. “Almost like he has super hearing powers.”

“Maybe he does,” Jack chortled. “Maybe he’s one of those supernatural creatures that came out of hiding.”

“I hope not,” Constance asserted. “It gives me the creeps that monsters are in this world with us.”

“Monsters?” Kenzie asked, a little sharper than she’d intended.

“Of course. What would you call them?”

“I’d call them creatures like us who just want to get by. They have jobs and families, too. They’re not that different.”

“Where’s this coming from, Kenzie?” Russ asked.


Kenzie bit her lip. What was she going to say now? She really opened her mouth and inserted her foot this time.

Hayden didn’t know what to say either. But of course his confidence was dwindling; her mother had stated right in front of him that she considered all supernatural creatures to be monsters. And he defined himself as such. This wasn’t good.

So why hide it? Why beat around the bush?

“Well, what if you guys met a supernatural creature,” Kenzie stammered, “and they turned out to be just like us? What if it was a nice, friendly being? I mean, what if it wanted to even talk to you and get to know you? Wouldn’t you give it the chance?”

“I suppose we should have an open mind,” Russ ascertained. “But show me a good one different from the ones they show in those monster movies, and then I’ll think about it.”

“Mom?”

“I honestly don’t know, Kenzie. It seems weird to me that they’d come out of hiding after all these years. Do they want us to be afraid of them since we know they’re around?”

“I assure you that’s not the case,” Hayden interjected. Everyone at the table turned to look at him.

“How do you know that?” Constance asked skeptically.

Hayden looked her square in the eye and said, “Because I happen to be one of those ‘monsters’ you’re talking about.”


Constance sucked in her breath and Russ furrowed his brow. Dan, Jack, and Natalie all began to scoot out of their chairs.

“Hayden,” Kenzie murmured, “I don’t think that was the best way to tell them.”

“What are you saying?” Russ cut in.

“I’m not human,” Hayden elaborated. “I’m a werewolf. And like Kenzie said, I just want to live life as normally as possible. I never wanted to be this, but it’s how I was born. I can’t change it, though I would if I could. But I’m sorry for any trouble this may have caused.”

Everyone at the table was staring at Hayden. Kenzie silently prayed that they wouldn’t ask for proof and make Hayden transform in front of them.

Thankfully, no one debated the situation any further. However, after a brief exchange of gifts from Jack and Natalie, Kenzie’s oldest uncle and aunt said that it was getting late and that they’d better return home. Kenzie knew better, and so did everyone else. Dan left not long after, feigning lethargy.

But it did surprise Kenzie when he leaned down to hug her and said, “You’re a good, smart kid, Kenzie. I know you’ll do the right thing, and whatever you decide that makes you happy is what’s important.”


Kenzie thanked her most supportive uncle before he left. Then she was left with her parents and her friends and boyfriend.

“I really don’t know what to say here,” Constance stated.

“I think we should talk to Kenzie alone,” Russ suggested.

Kenzie knew what that meant. And she wasn’t having it.

“I know what you guys are going to say,” she said. “You don’t have to take me into some private room. Besides, supernatural creatures have heightened senses, including hearing. Hayden would be able to hear whatever you were saying.”

“If it would make you more comfortable,” Hayden said, “I’ll step outside.”

“No, you won’t,” Kenzie retorted. “I’m twenty-six years old, I’m living on my own now, and I’m not a little kid anymore. I don’t need anyone’s permission to date you.”


Kenzie’s parents sighed in unison as she faced them stubbornly, arms crossed over her chest. But before they could object further, Kenzie added, “Plus, I’ll have you know, Hayden saved my life in Moonlight Falls.”

“Saved your life?” Constance gasped. “I didn’t realize your life was in danger.”

“Well, my cases are dangerous. I don’t always tell you how dangerous they are because of this. Your reactions. You guys, I realize I’m your only child, but I’m not a kid anymore. You don’t have to be so overprotective of me. Hayden is a great guy, werewolf or not. Besides, you know how I love wolves. It’s kind of perfect, isn’t it?”

“I don’t know if I’d go so far as to say perfect,” Constance replied, “but I do apologize for my outburst. I guess I never imagined my daughter even having contact with supernatural creatures, much less dating one.”

“Constance, she’s right,” Russ acquiesced. “She’s old enough to take care of herself and make her own decisions. And we’ve said since she was little that kids have to make their own mistakes. Not that this is a mistake, but I’m just saying that she’s still our daughter and she always will be. We should support her. And Hayden, I’d like to thank you for saving her life.”

“You’re very welcome, but I can’t take all the credit. Isaiah actually helped save her life.”


Kenzie’s parents moved their gaze to Isaiah. “You saved her, too?” Constance questioned.

“I believed that Kenzie was in trouble in Moonlight Falls,” Isaiah explained, “so I went there to help her. And yes, Hayden and I did offer her some assistance.”

“But why did you think she was in danger?” Russ prodded.

“Because I told him,” Kenzie answered, looking heavenward. “The case in Moonlight Falls was that these psycho power-hungry fairies were turning people into zombies, and Hayden and Isaiah saved me. Oh, and Paige and her coven.”

“Paige? The girl you met there? How did she save you?”

“She’s...a witch. Hence the term ‘coven’.”

Constance collapsed onto the couch as though her legs couldn’t support her anymore. Russ’s neck started to turn red. They were trying to have an open mind, but obviously this was too much to absorb.

Trying to salvage the situation, she apologized profusely until finally her father put his hand up to halt her tirade.

“Kenzie, we trust you, and we’re glad that you’re okay. But we’re still your parents so we’ll still worry about your safety. I hope you can understand that.”

“I do, Dad. But think of it this way – Hayden can protect me. I’ll be even safer with him there. He’s already sworn to protect me, and coming from a werewolf, that means something.”


Constance looked up from her hands. But it wasn’t Kenzie’s eyes she was looking into intently. It was Hayden’s.

“If you swore to protect her,” she told him sternly, “then you better keep that promise. She’s all we have, and if you hurt her in any way, I’ll make sure you’re put down. And yes, that pun was intentional.”

“No need to worry, Mrs. Howell. I swear on my life to protect Kenzie. I care for her, and I’ve never met anyone like her. She’s the only one who’s actually embraced all of what I am without any qualms. She’s made me a better, well, person. I used to hate this curse, but she’s made me see myself in a new light. I could never repay her enough for that.”

Kenzie’s eyes began to fill with tears. This guy truly was the best thing that ever happened to her. She hugged her parents and thanked them whole-heartedly. Hayden shook their hands once more and they left, along with Jillian, Isaiah, Austin, and Cheyenne.

“That was a close call,” Austin observed once they were outside and walking back to Kenzie’s house.

“That was also intense,” Cheyenne added unnecessarily.

“No shit,” Kenzie sputtered. “And thanks a lot, Isaiah.”

“What did I do?” Isaiah looked genuinely dumb-founded. Kenzie didn’t reply until after they’d all gotten back to her house and in the living room.

Once they were there, Kenzie slammed the door and started right in.

“What do you mean, what did you do?” she demanded hotly as she pointed her finger at Isaiah. “If you hadn’t burst out of the damn house with your super-sonic hearing and raised suspicion, no one would have been caught off-guard! I was going to tell them on my own terms!”


Isaiah had the gall to throw his hands up defensively. “Sorry, it just came as a shock to hear that you were actually in an exclusive relationship with...him.”

“Dude, I’m right here,” Hayden retorted sardonically. “Besides, what business is it of yours?”

“I’m just curious, seeing as last time I heard, you weren’t interested in Kenzie as more than a friend.”

“Things can change. And, again, not that it’s any of your business, I did see Kenzie as more than a friend, but I feared for her safety.”

“And her safety doesn’t matter to you anymore?”

“Just the opposite. I want to be with her and she wants to be with me. I want her to be happy as much as I want her to be safe. And how is this any different than you dating her best friend? Apart from the fact that I don’t drink Kenzie’s blood.”

“He doesn’t drink my blood,” Jillian snapped, getting angry herself. Kenzie winced. This wasn’t good.

“Stop it, all of you,” she demanded. But everyone seemed to ignore her, and Austin, who also tried to intervene with his rationalization skills.


“Sorry if I offended you,” Hayden replied to Jillian with a hint of arrogance in his voice. “I’m just asking, what’s the difference between a vampire dating you and me dating Kenzie?”

“The difference is that I would never hurt Jillian,” Isaiah growled. “I know your kind. I’ve had the unfortunate pleasure of acquainting myself with several. You’re all the same.”

“You don’t know shit about me. All you know is what’s been brainwashed into your head since you crawled out of the coffin centuries ago. News flash: whatever historical things may have happened back in the medieval times has nothing to do with me. Believe it or not, I don’t want to fight you. Why do you have to ruin this day for Kenzie?”

“I’m not trying to ruin anything. I’m trying to talk some sense into her infatuated head and show her that being with you isn’t something she genuinely wants, contrary to what she might insist.”

“Didn’t we just have this argument with my parents?” Kenzie interjected.

Isaiah focused his icy gaze on her. “Kenzie, I’m sorry, but I can’t believe your parents are okay with this. I also thought you had more sense than this. It’s obvious he only wants one thing from you.”

Kenzie clenched her fists to her sides before raising her finger in a warning gesture.


“For your information,” she fumed, “that’s total bullshit. Hayden actually cares about me, and I know that might be hard for you to believe, but it’s true. See that turtle terrarium? He gave me that because he really cares about me. He knows I love turtles as much as I love wolves.”

“Wow, a commercial gift. How thoughtful. Wake up, Kenzie! He gave you a gift to get into your pants...er, dress. He was just using you. You’re so damn gullible, just like you were with Logan. Oh, and yes I knew that’s what you and he were doing earlier when Jillian and I came to get you. It was obvious why you guys were late. I can’t believe you slept with a werewolf, Kenzie. I didn’t take you, an animal rights activist, for one who supported bestiality.”

“You bastard!” Kenzie’s palm made contact with Isaiah’s cheek in a sharp slap.


“I told you before,” she barked, “and I’ll tell you again now – it is none of your damn business what I do or who I do it with!”

“Why don’t you listen to me for once? How many times have I been right? The guy’s literally a dog!”

“And you’re literally a son of a bitch! And I can say that, because I’ve met your mother, and that’s exactly what she was!”

“Right now, you’re the one acting like a stupid bitch!”

“Don’t you dare talk to her that way!” Hayden boomed.

“What are you gonna do about it, wolf boy?”


Taunting a werewolf wasn’t wise. Because in that instant, Hayden lunged, right over the couch. His hand landed square in Isaiah’s jaw, sending him hurdling backward.


Austin grabbed Cheyenne and bolted both of them out of the way. Jillian’s high-pitched shriek filled the air. Sage began barking and even charged toward Isaiah, the one she perceived as a threat.

“Knock it off!” Kenzie bellowed at the top of her lungs. But still the brawl didn’t cease. Isaiah managed to scramble up, beyond infuriated, and knee Hayden in the stomach.


The fur literally continued to fly as the two supernatural creatures battled it out in the small area and the humans tried in vain to stop them. Blood formed on both their faces and hands and furniture was thrown about like paper.





Finally, Kenzie had more than enough as she watched her furniture get demolished and overturned and glass shatter. She raced to her bedroom, grabbed something from the drawer of her nightstand, and came back out.

“Stop right now both of you or I swear I’ll use this!”

Apparently everyone in the room was curious as to what exactly she’d use, because they all turned their attention to Kenzie...

...who was holding a wooden stake in her hand. The very stake Isaiah had given her in Bridgeport nearly three years ago.


Jillian couldn’t suppress a gasp. Isaiah actually backed off and moved toward his girlfriend. Hayden stood by Kenzie’s side.

“Isaiah, I’ve had enough,” she roared. “I hereby revoke your invitation!”

Everyone gasped once more as an invisible rope seemed to yank Isaiah right out of Kenzie’s house and out the door, which slammed shut once Isaiah was on the porch. When he tried to cross the threshold, he was unable to. Paige’s spell had worked.


One good piece of news was that the sun was setting, so Isaiah at least wouldn’t be scorched. But that didn’t make his girlfriend any less agitated.

“Kenzie!” Jillian cried. “Come on, let’s be reasonable here. Let’s talk this out.”

“There’s nothing to talk out, Jillian. Our boyfriends hate each other, and this is how it will be if we ever hang out together with them around.”

“Well, come on, you have to admit, Isaiah does have kind of a point. You’ve only known Hayden for how long? Aren’t you moving a little fast?”

Kenzie shot Jillian an irritated glare as Hayden awkwardly began to upright all of Kenzie’s furniture. “Like you’re one to talk!”


Jillian’s pretty brow furrowed in consternation and she turned toward the door. “Fine, Kenzie. If that’s how you want it to be, then let’s throw our friendship out the window.”

“We don’t have to. You could dump your psycho boyfriend.”

“And you could dump yours. But you won’t.”

“I’m hardly a psycho,” Isaiah grumbled from the behind the door after wiping the blood off his face. He could easily hear everything being said inside thanks to his keen senses. Plus, he wasn’t very far away, so the door didn’t contain anyone’s voice. “Excuse me for looking out for the best friend of the woman I love.”

“Isaiah, I don’t give a shit what your reasons are, or what you claim they are. You don’t actually care about me; if this were some other guy you wouldn’t think twice. But because it’s a werewolf, you have to freak out. You get your ass out of here right now or I swear to the creator I’ll stake you. I don’t give a damn what it may do to my friendship with Jillian, except I know even she doesn’t condone the way you’re behaving.”


“Hey,” Austin finally contributed to the conversation, sharper than Kenzie had ever heard him speak. “Come on, you guys don’t mean this. You two have been friends since you were eight years old. Are you seriously going to throw it away over some guy? Or two guys in this case? I know you don’t want to do that. But I also know neither of you wants to break up with your boyfriend. Can’t you come up with some sort of compromise?”

“I have a compromise,” Kenzie muttered. “Isaiah can stop being a prideful control freak. That’s what this is about. He’s had some bad experiences with werewolves so he thinks they’re all equally bad. And he’s got so much pride left over from the 1800s that he’s too stubborn to admit when he could possibly be wrong.  This is like a new form of racism.”

“Good one,” Hayden chortled as he also removed the blood from his skin.

Isaiah sighed from the porch again. “Fine, Kenzie. I guess I’ve overlooked the fact that Hayden did help me rescue you. And he promised to protect you...I apologize. Both for doubting him and for calling you a bitch. And the fighting and...”

“A simple apology won’t cut it, Isaiah. That really hurt me. If I wanted to feel smothered, I’d ask my parents. Look, if they can deal with it, why can’t you? Get it out of your head that werewolves and vampires are natural enemies. Maybe they were centuries ago, but that was before either of you were even born. Jillian and I are best friends, so we’re going to be seeing each other, so that means you guys probably will be too. Deal with it.”


Everyone seemed to contemplate this. Cheyenne added, “Yeah, I want all of you at our wedding this fall. And I don’t want any hostilities. Come on, we’re all more mature than this. We’re better than this.”

“Look, Isaiah,” Hayden stated, “I was telling the truth when I said I didn’t want to fight with you. Our girlfriends are best friends and I don’t want to drive them apart. Can’t we at least call a truce for their sake?”

“That sounds reasonable to me,” Isaiah replied. “All right, Hayden. I’ll keep more of an open mind. We’ll call a truce, on the condition that I’ll be watching you closely.”

“Likewise.”

“I’m glad to hear this,” Kenzie ascertained, “but it’s going to take a while to get over the brawl that just happened. Isaiah, I think I need to think about this before I invite you back inside.”

“Kenzie...” Jillian quibbled.

“No, she’s right,” Isaiah agreed. “I don’t blame her. Come on, let’s get back to the hotel. Or maybe you can introduce me to your parents while we’re here.”

“Uh...I think we’ve had enough supernatural drama for one day. Besides, they’ve got enough problems right now.”

“What?” Kenzie asked quizzically. “What do you mean?”

“Long story, and we don’t have time to talk about it now. I do hope you’ll eventually forgive my boyfriend though. But you’re right, I didn’t condone the way he was acting. I think I should talk some sense into him.”

“At the hotel?” Isaiah asked hopefully with a hint of amusement in his voice. Jillian rolled her eyes before saying goodbye to everyone and exiting the house.

“I guess we’d better head back, too,” Austin declared. “But look, I’ve got faith in you guys. I know you’ll be able to work through this.”

“Thanks, Austin,” Kenzie smiled.

Austin nodded and he and Cheyenne also left. That left Hayden and Kenzie alone in her house as the sun made its final descent and night began to fall, speckling the sky with pink and purple hues.

“In the words of Cheyenne earlier,” Hayden stated, “that was intense.”

Kenzie sauntered over to the couch and collapsed on it. Hayden followed her, gently lifted her up and nestled her into his arms.


“I’m so sorry I caused all that trouble,” Hayden said earnestly. “I shouldn’t have ruined your day.”

“You didn’t ruin it. You being here made it better and much more tolerable.”

“But there wouldn’t have been a fight...”

“Hey.” Kenzie sat up and climbed on top of Hayden, looking tenderly into his eyes. “Don’t blame yourself for this. I should have known it was coming. I was stupid to think otherwise.”


Hayden placed his hands on Kenzie’s hips. “You’re not stupid. But I meant what I said about not wanting to fight. And I really do care about you. I hope you know that.”

“I do know that. Those subtle hints you gave me in Moonlight Falls...you said I was awesome, you took me out for a drink to get to know me, you protected me and saved my life...Hayden, you’re perfect. This may sound cheesy, but it’s like you’re the missing piece of the puzzle that’s my life. I feel complete, whole now.”

“Well, this may sound equally cheesy, but the feeling’s mutual. You don’t know how long I’ve hoped, but never dreamed I’d find, for someone like you. Someone who embraces me and all that I am, looks past the monster part...Kenzie, you’re the definition of perfect.”

“I digress; you’re the real definition of the word.”

Hayden shifted positions so that Kenzie was in his lap again and he planted a kiss gingerly on her lips.


“We could argue about it all night,” Kenzie whispered when their lips parted, “or we could do something more fun.”

“We could, but first answer me one question. Are you going to forgive Isaiah?”

“I suppose I will eventually. Look, he means well. And he did save my life in Bridgeport. And he helped me save Jillian’s life, too. I think the only reason he’s so overprotective of me is because Jillian cares about me so much.”

“That’s one good thing he’s got going for him.”

“Come on, he has a lot of redeemable traits.”

“I know that, but he’s lived longer than any of us, so he’s seen more to be cautious about. Were you seriously going to stake him?”

“That’s two questions. But honestly...yes. I was that pissed off at what he was doing to you, and for such a stupid reason. But I’m glad it worked out otherwise in the end.”

“So am I. Well, I’m going to hold up my end of the bargain. I’m going to protect you and I won’t leave you unless you want me to. And I’ll uphold the truce.”

“I appreciate that.”


With that, Kenzie and Hayden spent their first blissful night together as a couple. Today wasn’t just about a new relationship for Kenzie, though. It was also about her graduation. She was finally ready to begin the new chapter in her life, and now she’d turned the page. Only time would tell what the rest of the pages held.

THE END

Previous Part

No comments:

Post a Comment