Sunday, July 22, 2012

Chapter 9 - Reasonable Doubt

NOTE: This chapter contains mild language.

Kenzie and Isaiah raced toward the karaoke bar down the boardwalk, which was no easy task considering Jillian had snapped Kenzie’s feet into high heels. While running, huffing, and trying not to stumble, Kenzie called the chief on her phone to tell her what had transpired. That didn’t get her anywhere, as the chief once again reassured her that the officers were doing everything possible regarding the dead women and now Jillian’s disappearance. She also said that Kenzie had no proof that Jillian had been kidnapped at all. After she hung up frustrated, Kenzie glared at Isaiah’s back, since he was much faster than she was (and he wasn’t wearing heels), and demanded, “Can’t you just fly around the city and look for them?”

“That wouldn’t be ostensive at all, would it? Besides, we don’t have the ability to shape-shift. That’s all superstitious fiction.”


Kenzie groaned and spat out, “Why did you let her do it? Why didn’t you help her? Where are your protective vampire instincts? I thought vampires always looked out for their mates.”

Isaiah growled, “I’m not thrilled about this either. When I find that son of a bitch, I’m going to rip his head off.”

“Don’t let Jillian see you do that. Or anyone else for that matter, including me.”

“No promises.”

When they arrived at Mick’s Master Karaoke, the two had to burst through the doors somewhat slowly so as not to stir up alarm. They walked through them as calmly as they could muster. They spotted Austin, who’d changed his outfit from earlier, sitting at a table, his posture tense and his expression concerned. Kenzie couldn’t remember the last time she’d seen him look so frantic.

“All right,” Isaiah said as he pulled up a chair next to Austin. “What’s going on?”


Before Austin could reply, Kenzie just blurted out, “I’m so sorry, Austin. I never should have said what I did earlier. But now I understand why I was so harsh. I was jealous. I’m jealous because everyone else’s life seems to be in order and mine’s a mess because of something stupid. But I shouldn’t blame other people for my own mistakes. But more than that, I’m jealous because my two best friends in the world found someone they can share their dreams with. Jillian’s going to be a successful fashion designer someday, and you’re a literal genius who’ll accomplish whatever you put your mind to. And here I am, single and jobless. Trying to get my life back on track at 25 when I thought I had it all figured out. I don’t know how to say how sorry I am. So I’ll just leave it at that.”

Kenzie looked down during her entire speech. She was crying and couldn’t bear to look anyone in the eye. Her little sniffles broke the silence, but then Austin finally spoke.

“I’ve known you for years,” he said, “and I’ve never known you to be jealous over anything. It’s brave of you to admit that. I also know how you get when you’re upset. I guess it was pretty selfish to rub our fortune in your face when you were here to celebrate your birthday.”

“I want everyone to be happy. But it seems like the problem is I can’t make myself happy. Everyone else is no problem, but me? It’s like it’s forbidden.”

“I used to think like that. I’m sure you remember.”

She did. He was referring to when they were both in high school, when he was looked down upon for not being the most handsome or popular guy and also happened to care more about his grades than the latest game. They’d found each other then, and things were good for a while. Things were good again in Appaloosa Plains, until Kenzie had said they should just be friends. He was crushed for a long time, until Cheyenne had come along. It was like she’d been created for him. And Kenzie couldn’t deny that she was genuinely happy for him, and didn’t hesitate to tell him so. He thanked her wholeheartedly. He also returned the unnecessary apology, which she graciously accepted.


“Okay,” she finally said. “What were you going to tell me that had to be said in person?”

Austin explained, “After what happened earlier, Cheyenne told me that she wanted us to be completely honest with each other. She told me that she does know Elijah. But not as Elijah the Enigmatic. She knows him, or rather she knew him, as Eron Marx. Elijah is his stage name. You were right; he was the ex-boyfriend she told us about. That was almost six months ago. She broke it off with him because he wanted her to go on tour with him and be his assistant. She always said his magic was just a pipe dream and he’d never make a career out of it. So she turned him down. After that, I guess he just snapped. She stopped hearing from him, and the next thing she knows, she sees him again for the first time last night, but he’s different. He didn’t used to look like he does now. Apparently, he used to be good-looking and kind. They weren’t arguing at Port-A-Party Warehouse because he asked her out. He said his ‘pipe dream’ was really taking off now and he’d be willing to forgive her and give her another chance to be his assistant. But she told him that she didn’t want that, and that she had dreams of her own. Not to mention what was happening with all those bodies during his shows. She told him they were over for good. She swore that she didn’t even know it was him last night until he told her things only he would know, like where they went on their first date, and their first kiss.”


Austin took a deep breath, sighed, and continued, “I guess he really lost it last night when Cheyenne turned him down again. She also said she’s sorry for calling you a bitch, Kenzie.”

He offered a hesitant smile, which Kenzie returned comprehendingly. Then she countered, “I’m the one who should be sorry. I shouldn’t have accused her of anything. But right now, we have even bigger problems. Elijah performed again tonight, and he took Jillian.”

“What do you mean he took her?”

“He said he was going to make her disappear, and then make himself disappear. Neither one came back.”

Austin sucked in his breath. “That guy can’t be up to any good.”

“We have to find her. Cheyenne knows how Elijah’s tricks work. Austin, did she tell you where Elijah, or Eron I guess, might be hiding?”

“No, but she did say something else interesting. All those girls that keep turning up dead onstage? They’re his exes.”


Kenzie’s eyes narrowed and she gasped. “His exes?”

“I guess he was always quite the flirt, and now that he’s a big star, well, I guess that doesn’t keep girls from dumping him for being an ass. A guy with that big of an ego…he wouldn’t take it well.”

“You’re saying he’s killing all these exes and sabotaging his own show? Why would he do that?”

“I don’t know, but Kenzie, Cheyenne is also Eron’s ex, and she’s missing.”

“I get it. Austin, we’ll find her. But what would he want with Jillian?”

“I hate to admit it, but the only thing I can think of is that, if he’s been picking up girls in the hopes of getting lucky with them later, maybe he wants...”

“You think he wants to have woohoo with her?”

“I wouldn’t put it past him. But I don’t know why he’d resort to kidnapping her for that. Maybe because she was hanging out with Cheyenne and the rest of us?”

Isaiah sucked in his breath and clenched his fists. Kenzie stiffened and said with a grimace, “Austin, I want you to call the police right now and tell them everything you told me. Ask to speak to the chief, Heather Crandall. Don’t mention me or she might hang up on you. I’ve already talked to her two or three times and she just keeps saying they’re doing everything possible to figure this out.”

“That isn’t good enough,” Isaiah said, his voice filled with acid. “They’re doing everything humanly possible, but those are feeble attempts.”

Kenzie knew what that meant. Isaiah’s supernatural senses would have to come into play here. And even if she hated to admit it, she knew that he was right. Time was running out for Jillian and Cheyenne, and every second was of the essence. They had no choice.

“Let’s split into teams,” she said. “Austin, you call the police and tell the chief everything you told us. Isaiah and I will do research and see if we can find some clues.”

“Once a detective, always a detective,” Austin chuckled.

“Even if I wasn’t, this is my best friend we’re talking about here, and a nice girl that I horribly misjudged. Plus I owe it to you to make it up to both of you. Now let’s go!”


No one wasted any more time. The two groups split off in different directions. But Kenzie wasn’t actually going to do research. She had another idea in mind.

“Isaiah,” she said when they were out outside and out of earshot, “I need you to do something for me.”

“Now?”

“I need you to tune into your vampiric senses and see if you can maybe sniff Jillian out. I didn’t think of it before at the club, but it seems like the best idea. And I’m sure she and Cheyenne are being kept in the same place, so we should hopefully be able to find both of them.”

“In order to do that, we’d have to return to the club and get below the stage.”

“It can’t be that hard. If I have to stoop to bluffing, I will.”

“And what would the bluff be?”

“That I’m still a detective.”

“Kenzie, no offense, but as popular as you were, I’m sure everyone saw the newspaper article about you ‘going a new direction’ in your life, so they won’t believe you.”

“They won’t, unless I wear a disguise.”

“Fake ID? Have you lost your mind?”

“I don’t have time to argue with you. Are you going to help me find Jillian or not? Or do you not care?”

“Damn it, don’t tell me I don’t care! Of course I care!”

“Then let’s move it!”


Isaiah didn’t have to be told twice. He grabbed Kenzie’s hand and pulled her back to Los Suenos Private Club. She didn’t even have time to change out of her fancy dress with her best friend’s well-being at stake.

As she ran, Kenzie felt a slight hint of relief. It was good to know that her doubts about Cheyenne had been somewhat reasonable and accurate. She hadn’t been completely truthful, but she was innocent. At least for now.

She only hoped she and Isaiah would get to her and Jillian before it was too late.

No comments:

Post a Comment