Thursday, March 1, 2012

Part 6 - The Recent Years

NOTE: This series is directed at a teenage and older audience, as it contains reference to subjects such as "woohoo", though the word may not actually be used. You have been warned!


Not long after Jillian's departure, I found a house for sale, ironically just down the road and across the street from my parents (it had been built not long ago). The house was a lovely plum color (though that wasn't my favorite color anymore, but that's okay), it had an open floor plan, and two bedrooms, though I did convert one into a den. It also had a nice patio out back with a hot tub. I loved the house, and though my parents insisted I could stay with them, I knew it was time to live on my own and get on with my life. So, as a graduation present, they helped me put a down payment on the house located at 25 Hidden Grove Lane.

Here's a picture of me in front of my new, and first, house (and yes, I did cut my hair, though not nearly as short as when I was 13; this is just easier to manage):


Jillian sent me a picture of herself in front of her house in Sunset Valley as well that her roommate took. The place looks pretty awesome.


She even went nuts and took pictures of the interior of the house so I knew exactly what her place looked like. So I figured I'd return the favor, but those pictures will come later.

It was a little lonely my first night in my new house. For the first time in my life, I was sleeping under a roof with no one else there. But at least I did have a roof to sleep under, so that eased the tension.

Thanks to the money I'd saved up from doing low-level police work, I was able to purchase some furniture for my house. It was mostly all second-hand, but that's okay. I could have taken the furniture out of my parents' house, but all I had there was a bed, a desk, bookshelf, dresser, and an end table. I figured it would  be easier to just make a fresh start. This was, after all, a new chapter in my life.

I was so excited that I got offered my dream job so quickly. I got excellent recommendations from all my college professors, graduated with honors, and that low-level police work helped me out tremendously with references. I was 21 when I graduated, and that summer, after Jillian moved, I was feeling pretty lonely. I wouldn't officially be hired by the Riverview police station until that fall (there were no openings until then), so I wasn't sure what to do with my time. So my parents came up with an idea - I should take a vacation. My first idea was to go to Sunset Valley to see Jillian, but for some reason, my heart wanted me to do something more exotic, something on my own and for myself. My parents couldn't get away from their jobs to go with me anyway, so why not?

I thought back to prom night and realized how much I loved the Asian theme we had, and I've been intrigued with Asian things ever since. So I counted out my money and confirmed I had enough to visit China for three days. I could barely contain my excitement.

My parents were a little skeptical of my going overseas for a vacation; they had also figured I'd go see Jillian. I decided I'd rather have someone with me after all; what fun is a vacation without someone to share it with? So I called Jillian up and she said she'd love to go to China, but she didn't have the funds to do so. And there was no way I could pay for the both of us. So she made a deal with me - I could go alone but take plenty of pictures for her and bring her back a souvenir or two. Or three. I figured that was a fair enough deal, so I went. Besides, while I love Jillian, she'd be more excited to enjoy the shopping aspect of the trip instead of the cultural aspect.

So, two weeks after Jillian left Riverview, I booked a flight to Shang Simla. A day later, I was on the plane. It took quite a while to get there, and when I did arrive, it was at night. But the city looked gorgeous at night. I got some pictures of the town square to remember the place by, since I didn't know when and if I'd ever get back in the future. These pictures were taken around 11 at night, yet it's still pretty bright. Amazing!







There were a few locals still managing their stores, and they looked like they were wondering what the heck this strange tourist was doing, taking pictures of their town. But hey, why let a good digital camera go to waste? Besides, I had been trained to take extensive photographs of everything.

Since it was night time when I arrived, and I was pretty tired from my trip, I decided to just turn in and start my adventure fresh the next morning. My hotel room was pretty interesting - there was no door, but an arch, leading outside to a balcony, and it had a bed and dresser, and attached bathroom. That's it, but I didn't plan to spend too much time in my hotel room on vacation.

This was my first trip away from home besides college, and my first trip ever out of the country. My parents had only been out of the country once, on their honeymoon, and I wanted to experience the same thing, only in China because I loved Asian culture.

In fact, I loved Asian culture so much (and still do) that the next day, when the bright sun woke me up, I went shopping and picked up some authentic Chinese clothes. I got a kimono and a Sim Fu outfit, plus an adorable T-shirt with a panda on it. I also got my parents and Jillian souvenirs, as promised.

After purchasing the Sim Fu outfit, I decided to actually check out the art. So, after putting on my new Sim Fu outfit, I went to the martial arts school, and while I wanted to train on the board breaker, I was instructed to start on the training dummy. I was working out when one of the trainers came over to me and asked if I needed help. He introduced himself as Shen Chong, one of the instructors.

Shen helped me get the basics down, and then his sister, Su, came outside to the practice area. She got all excited when she found out where I was from, and started asking me questions about my home because she wanted to go there one day to study science.

So I started asking her all kinds of questions about Chinese culture, since I was equally intrigued by it, and she happily answered me in exchange. I met a friend in China, imagine that! She also persuaded her brother to get a picture of me while I was practicing Sim Fu as she gave me some pointers as well (her brother had taught her at a young age; that's her in the background) after I told her about the scrapbook I was putting together (that really fascinated her!).


And yes, I'm wearing tennis shoes while doing martial arts; I wasn't ready to use my bare feet on that thing!

Shen was usually busy training students, so Su and I spent a lot of time exploring the local sites together while getting to know each other and our cultures. Su would also take pictures of me whenever she could, being so interested in my scrapbooking project. After the Sim Fu lessons that day, Su offered to take me around the town of Shang Simla. I went back to my hotel (or base camp as I learned it to be called) and changed into my kimono, which Su happily took a picture of me wearing.


Here's a picture of me in a serene Asian garden (called The Scholar's Garden), meditating (it's harder than it looks!):


And I got some pictures of the beautiful place, including the koi ponds!





Then we checked out this old abandoned barn. I wanted to go inside but Su said it wasn't safe and to avoid it. But I did get a picture of it.


That was the first day. On the second day, Su decided to explore a tomb with me. Funny, I thought tombs were mostly associated with Egypt, but China has some as well. Su and I went to the Halls of the Lost Army, since it seemed to be the most popular one for first-time tourists to visit. She gave me the history of the army the whole time. She was also happy to get pictures of me inside the tomb, particularly in the last room.

Here I am inserting a key to get in:


And here I am opening a chest in the last room:


Later on that day, Su invited me to her house, where she had me sample various foods from China. I got a picture of her preparing organic dim sum too; she's a natural cook, and eco-friendly! The way she moved that knife so fast was amazing! I told her she should be a chef (she said she'd keep that in mind if science didn't work out)!


Here I am trying the egg rolls:


And here's the organic dim sum:


I tried to use chopsticks, but that was a lot harder than you'd think, so I had to resort to using a fork! Guess I don't have a picture of me eating with chopsticks though, darn! Oh, and that's real Chinese candy on the table! Yum!

There was also a fortune cookie maker right in the kitchen! Su let me sample one that she made, complete with a fortune inside. She later taught me how to make my own!



I still have that fortune somewhere, I just have to find it. But I do remember that it said something like, "A dream come true is in your future." Something like that anyway, and so far, it's been true! That's why I hold onto it, not to mention it came directly from China instead of just a restaurant here!

I loved egg rolls and dim sum the best, so Su showed me the book store where I could buy books with the actual recipes inside. I went ahead and picked up all the recipe books, just in case, as well as a few fiction books, and even a few history books (ah, the joys of being a book worm!)

I was so excited to see an authentic Chinese house! It was incredible! Small and perfectly built for a family, with all kinds of pretty things inside and outside. I was also pretty surprised at how open Su was toward me; I was, after all, a stranger. But I guess since she lost her parents at such a young age (Su and Shen have been on their own for several years, since their parents had died when Su was 10 and Shen was 17. Things sure are different in China; I don't know of any 17-year-old in my area that would take care of a child without parental help), that makes her more trusting. Or perhaps everyone in China is that way. Shen was nothing but hospitable to me as well, though he did say that Su was very serious about going to "my world", as he called it, someday to study science.

On the last day of my trip, I went back to the martial arts academy with Su and practiced on the board breaker (although it was just a foam board). I even got to try on a new outfit (and this time I left my socks on but took my shoes off)!


After that, Su took me to the beautiful and soothing hot springs. I could have stayed there forever! I got into the hot springs (thankfully remembering to bring my bathing suit), and there was a local in there also enjoying herself. Su got some pictures of me in the hot springs as they cascaded down.



They also had koi in the hot springs area, so I went fishing. I even caught a koi! But I threw it back in, since I didn't want to take that on the plane with me. That smell wouldn't have been appealing at all. Plus, now I'm an animal rights activist, so keeping it would go against everything I believe in. In fact, when I realized that, I stopped fishing immediately, although Dad assures me that fish don't feel the hooks in their mouths. But here is a picture of me with my koi (Su informed me that was a Doitsu Koi):


Before my trip was over, Su and I exchanged contact information, and I do hope that she one day makes it to Riverview, or even to my country. She had her brother take a picture of the both of us on my last day there in front of their lovely house.


When I got back home, it was a nice welcome party from my parents. Jillian called me and wanted to know all about my trip. I told everyone about meeting Su and learning a little bit of Sim Fu, not to mention showing off my Chinese outfits (which I sent pictures of to Jillian).

I still had a couple of months before I could officially start my job as a detective, so, to pass the time and have some sort of income, I continued doing low-level police work, only for Riverview instead of Twinbrook. I figured that would help me out in case the police station had any second thoughts about hiring me when the time came. But that did help pass the time, because before I knew it, I was hired and ready to begin!

My first case was pretty interesting to say the least. But any job requires you to start off small. Some joker played a prank and stole someone else's shampoo, and since I was the "new detective in town", it was my job to figure out who did it and why. Pretty easy to do considering my training. Then there was the case of the kicked over lawn gnomes, then someone stole someone's flamingo sculpture, and things like that. Finally I got into the really interesting cases, where I got to dust for prints and hack into peoples' computers to find dirt on them. Oh, and snoop through their mail and trash. Of course, the police department didn't necessarily condone that, so that's our little secret, okay?

A few months ago, I was recognized as one of the best detectives in Riverview. The mayor herself (Lorraine Cantina) presented me with an award, and there was a big celebration at city hall. Not only that, but I even received the key to the city! My parents got a picture of me shaking hands with Lorraine.


After that, my boss, Elliott Warren, gave me my own office. I was thrilled! That meant I didn't have to redo my den in my house, and I'd have the perfect place to work. Here are some pictures of my office (notice the bulletin boards full of cases, and the awards, not to mention the pictures on my shelf with a wolf light included!):











And that began the next chapter of my life, the current one I'm on. There are a lot of things I didn't experience in life, such as  a high school game (didn't care much for sports, and I still don't), a sorority, a concert, or a really wild party where I was drinking (of course, I didn't want to do that), but I don't have any regrets. Every step I've taken was so that I could get here, to where I am now. I'm living on my own as a detective, and you know my life story. I don't know where life is taking me or what it has in store for me, but I know it's only a matter of time before I find out. I've endured hardships and  misfortune, but that's only helped make me stronger. I beat the odds and achieved my dream, and am still going strong. Jillian and I still talk to each other via instant messenger, even though it's not completely the same. I have yet to find the perfect guy for me, but I'm in no rush for that; I live for the day, I live for me, and I live for my dreams.


THE END (for now!)

No comments:

Post a Comment