Thursday, March 1, 2012

Chapter 8 - Heating Up

Kenzie felt her pulse quicken. Was this really happening? Was this handsome guy kissing her, right on the Duncans' doorstep? With father and son still arguing inside? After only knowing each other for only a day?

No, this couldn't be happening. Things like this didn't happen to girls like her. Maybe she was dreaming and would wake up at any moment.

Yes, that's it. She wasn't even on a case in Twinbrook at all. She was home asleep in her bed in Riverview. This wasn't real.

Which is why she felt maybe it would be okay, out of impulse, to wrap her arms around Logan's shoulders and return the passionate kiss (and very good one; Logan really knew what he was doing!).


But then it became clear; when the amorous fog cleared from her mind, Kenzie's eyes flew open. She saw Logan's eyes closed, so close to her own, as his mouth enveloped hers. Before she lost control of her senses again, she yanked her head back with so much force that she nearly lost her balance.


"What do you think you're doing?!" she asked Logan, who had another one of those amused grins on his face.

"What's it look like?" he replied with a laugh.

"Why did you do that? For crying out loud!"

"Hey, you seemed to be enjoying it."

Kenzie felt her cheeks heat up. She didn't dare tell Logan just how much she really did enjoy it He never needed to know that.

"That was a force of habit," she replied instead. "Why did you do that?!"

"Well, generally, when a guy's attracted to a girl, he does that to show his affection."

"Why are you attracted to me? I'm...what I said to you, my..." she tried to nonchalantly grab at her large stomach and hips, mostly in an attempt to hide them. Logan just shook his head.

"Oh, I get it," he said. "You think I'm a shallow jerk of a guy who only wants a certain type of woman, right? Well, I'll have you know, I don't care what a woman looks like. It's her personality that I care about. But women with a few extra pounds tend to be better, because they're not so full of themselves it makes us guys feel inferior. Although with that comment you made about you being my superior, I don't know."

Kenzie's heart started racing. This guy wasn't for real, was he? He looked genuinely sincere, and he'd been nothing but a gentleman to Kenzie since they'd met. She was the one who'd blown the whole thing out of proportion. Still, his line about women with "a few extra pounds" must have flawed her judgment. Since when is any guy interested in a nice girl instead of one that looks like a super model?

Stuttering, she replied, "I...I didn't mean..."

Logan chuckled. "Kenzie, I get that you don't like having a partner, but I don't like feeling inadequate. I see how you do your job, and I really admire it. I wish I could be more like you. And I know you hate bounty hunters, but I never once said I wanted to be a bounty hunter for the rest of my life."

Before Kenzie could reply to this shocking statement, Logan grabbed her hand and said, "Come on. Let's get you back to the hotel. It's getting late."

Kenzie saw from her watch that it wasn't that late at all. Oh no. She hoped he wasn't going to...

"You are not spending the night with me," she snapped as she tried to yank her hand from Logan's steel grip.

"Wow, your mind's in the gutter," he said as he kept tugging her along. "That didn't even cross my mind."

"Then why are you taking me back to the hotel so early?"

"Because enough is enough. You're tired, you've been working all day, and you need your sleep. Plus, this truck's going to need gas before the night's over. Start fresh in the morning."

At last they made it to the truck. Kenzie climbed into the front seat, her heart pounding. Why did she have to enjoy that kiss so much? She thought the only flames she'd have to worry about extinguishing in Twinbrook were the ones caused by the arsonist. She had to put this fire out, fast.

So as Logan drove her back to the hotel, she told him, "Logan, what happened back there...it didn't happen. Okay?"

"Sure felt like it happened."

"You know what I mean. I can't do this. I'm on a case."

Logan turned to look at her at a stop sign. "Kenzie, you can fight it all you want, but I think it's pretty obvious you're attracted to me. That kiss wasn't a habitual one. In fact, if I didn't know any better, I'd swear you haven't been kissed in such a long time, you wanted to savor the moment for as long as possible."


What was with this guy? Was her life truly that much of an open book? She hadn't been with any man since college, here in Twinbrook, and only Jillian knew that. Was this guy a mind-reader or something?

Or worse, a vampire, since they had that special ability?

But she could tell by looking at him that he was human. His eyes didn't glow, his teeth weren't pointed, and his skin wasn't pale. And it was very warm to the touch when she'd felt his lips upon hers.

Why did she keep thinking about that?!

At last, they arrived back at the hotel. Kenzie said goodbye fast and practically ran inside. But not before she heard Logan shout, "Call me when you want to start tomorrow!"

Kenzie shoved open the door and turned on the light. The dark room's shadows turned into objects. Suddenly aware of how drained she actually was, she decided to take her shower early. As she climbed in and felt the water cascade down her body, she thought about what Logan had said.

He'd said, first of all, that looks weren't everything with him. He cared about a woman's personality instead of her waist line. He'd also said that she was cute when she was angry. How many guys said that?

But most importantly, he'd told her that maybe he didn't want to be a bounty hunter for the rest of his life. She'd gotten it in her head that that's all he'd ever do, all he'd ever be. But maybe he had other ambitions.

Stepping out of the shower, Kenzie dried off and put her pajamas on. She felt like she was ready to burst, and desperately needed to talk to someone. She almost cheered in relief when she saw Jillian online.


WolfWoman: Jill, you better be at your desk, because I seriously need to talk to you.

LifesABeach: I'm here, for now! Still in the process of moving in.

WolfWoman: Oh right. You had to sell that nice house on Redwood Parkway, didn't you?

LifesABeach: Yeah, but on the plus side, I got myself a cute little beach bungalow. It's perfect for me! And it's close to the water, and much more affordable! I love it! But enough about that. What's going on?

WolfWoman: Where do I even start?

LifesABeach: How about the beginning?

WolfWoman: Yeah, right. Well, Mr. Bounty Hunter and I talked to one of the families today who lost their house. Then we talked to the two prime suspects. One's a pyro, but she claims she has an alibi. I have to check that out. The other one's a teen prankster, and it's looking bad for him. His girlfriend lived in one of the houses that burned down, and he said he was there that night.

LifesABeach: Yikes. I don't think he can prank his way out of that one. But that doesn't sound like something you desperately had to tell me.

WolfWoman: No, it's what happened at the kid's house. First, he had a whoopee cushion in the couch, and three guesses who sat on it? Logan was laughing so hard I thought he was going to fall over dead.

LifesABeach: Logan?

WolfWoman: That's the bounty hunter.

LifesABeach: He laughed at you for sitting on a whoopee cushion? I hope you chewed him out.

WolfWoman: I did. But that didn't do any good. And you'll never guess why.

LifesABeach: He's more stubborn than you are?

WolfWoman: Besides that.

LifesABeach: Um...he has a bad temper? Did he hurt you?!

WolfWoman: No, but that would have been easier to deal with. Jill, he KISSED me!

LifesABeach: HOLY COW! ARE YOU SERIOUS?!

WolfWoman: I'm dead serious. Then he had the gall to say he doesn't care what a woman looks like, it's her personality that matters. And that he didn't want to be a bounty hunter his whole life. And this all happened AFTER he said I was cute when I was mad! And I fell for it like an idiot!

LifesABeach: Wow...

WolfWoman: Is that all you can say?! You're the guy expert! I don't know what to do here!

LifesABeach: Okay, first of all, calm down. Second of all, I'm hardly a guy expert given my history of lousy taste in them. And third, I don't think you fell for anything. Don't you remember that talk we had about guys this summer? You have to learn to trust them more. Now I'm not saying dive into bed with the guy, but how do you know he was lying?

WolfWoman: Because why would he want me?

LifesABeach: Kenzie, you're really pretty. And I don't care what you say, you're not fat. And not all guys want a stick. Why don't you just enjoy yourself? The guy's mostly just helping you out, right? And without him, you wouldn't know where anyone lived and you'd be stuck there trying to find your way around. I remember college - you got lost in Twinbrook pretty easy.

WolfWoman: It's not my fault the whole town looks the same except for the swamp.

LifesABeach: My point is, just calm down. And answer this question honestly - do you like this guy?


Kenzie had to think about that one. How did she feel? She remembered when she'd first seen Logan, standing in the police station, looking so handsome. And he hadn't stopped being handsome, even after she'd found out his profession. And he'd been nothing but a gentleman to her. Even after she yelled at him, quite frequently at that, he was just so...perfect.

Great. She was falling for this guy.

WolfWoman: I'm scared to say that I think I do like him.

LifesABeach: Then stop panicking. It's not like he's taking advantage of you. But if you don't want to start something, just tell him. There's no law against that.

WolfWoman: Yeah, you're right. I'll have to tell him I'm only here to solve a case, then I'm going back to Riverview. I can't be getting involved with anyone.

LifesABeach: Are you sure that's what you want, though? It may seem like the easier thing to do, or even the professional thing to do. But is it the right thing to do? Is it right for you?

WolfWoman: I think it's for the best.

LifesABeach: Is this because you're too scared to trust guys, or because you don't want to mess up the case?

WolfWoman: Both?

LifesABeach: Kenzie, you have to take down that wall you've built around yourself. Not everyone is out to get you, and not everyone will stab you in the back. But I have to get going. And no, I don't have a date. Unless you consider talking to a bank teller a date. Which I don't. I mean, she's pretty and all, but 53 is a little old for me.

WolfWoman: Okay, Jill. Thanks for listening. I'll talk to you later.

LifesABeach: Be safe!

Kenzie closed down the computer and slumped down into her chair. Despite her intentions, she was falling for Logan Hawkins. And she had to work with him, so she couldn't avoid him. What was she going to do?


No comments:

Post a Comment