Thursday, March 1, 2012

Chapter 6 - Secrets Revealed

Kenzie didn't know whether she should gasp, faint, or scream. Or perhaps all three.

In any case, she found herself practically hyperventilating and panicking as she gazed inside the small package that had come addressed to her best friend.

Her best friend whom she'd known since they were eight years old, whose only major flaw was her bad taste in men, at least as far as she knew. But this was nothing compared to all the bad relationships she'd had in the past.

Because inside the box was not a book, contrary to what one would think was inside a small box the size of a book with a book club sticker. No, this was much worse. Worse because there was no way it couldn't be wrong. There was no way it could even be legal.


Kenzie blinked her eyes several times, as if to clear her vision, hoping her eyes would focus on something other than what she was actually seeing. Almost as if what she saw inside a box addressed to her best friend was a figment of her imagination.

But the countless simoleons inside the box were plain as day, stacked neatly and facing up underneath an envelope with Jillian's name on it. Kenzie wasn't sure how much money was inside the box, but there was no way this amount could have come from Jillian's job payment. That wouldn't have come in a box disguised as one from a book club and have no return address. It would be in an envelope in the form of a check.

Was this what Jillian and Drake had been referring to last night? About what Kenzie didn't know? It was no wonder Jillian kept her mouth shut. She and Drake must have been involved in some sort of business deal. If one could call this business.

Feeling slightly guilty, but still concerned, Kenzie opened the envelope addressed to Jillian. Inside was a note scrawled in lousy handwriting.

J,

Remember our deal. That friend of yours visiting means nothing. If she finds out anything, the deal's off. This should cover you for a while. Watch your back and keep your mouth shut.

D

Kenzie felt sick to her stomach. What was Jillian doing, collecting money like this? It was no wonder she wasn't worried about making payments on her house, complete with a hot tub, and not looking for roommates. She was being paid off for something. And from the looks and vibe of Drake, not to mention this letter, something bad.


Tears stung Kenzie's eyes. Jillian was her best friend, and she may not have the best judgment when it came to men, but this was too much. How could she do this? Not only was she taking money from a bad guy, she was breaking the law. And Kenzie was a detective, one sworn to protect and uphold the law. That meant that, if she knew what Jillian was up to, she had to turn her in. Her hands were tied.

And yet, could she really bring herself to do it? Could she turn her best friend in? In times like these, justice wasn't good - it was harsh.

*****

Kenzie wasn't sure how long she slept, but she was awoken from her nap by a knock at the door.


"Kenzie?" Jillian's voice asked.

Kenzie sat up and saw that the sun was beginning to set outside. The beautiful scenery she'd seen her first night in Sunset Valley didn't seem so appealing anymore.

"Yeah?" she replied to Jillian's inquiry.

"Are you okay?"

Kenzie thought, "No", but said, "Yeah, I'm fine."

"I see you brought the mail in. Thanks."

Kenzie gritted her teeth. "You're welcome."

"It's almost 6:30, what would you like for dinner?"

"It doesn't matter," Kenzie said, having no appetite.

"You sure you're okay? You aren't acting right."

That was another thing about having Jillian for a best friend - she and Kenzie could always tell when something was bothering the other. Kenzie saw no point in beating around the bush. Jillian was caught, and it was time she fessed up.

"No, I'm not all right," Kenzie said, standing up.

"What's wrong?"

Kenzie opened the door to Jillian's worried face. She truly did care, but Kenzie at least deserved an explanation.

"First of all, I saw you and Drake talking last night at the beach."

"Were you spying on me?"

"No, I was on my way to the bathroom and I saw you following him. To a very secluded area I might add."

Jillian started to respond, but Kenzie cut her off.

"I heard you two talking about something that someone knows nothing about. I presume you meant me."

"Kenzie..."

"Just a minute, I'm not done. I brushed it off, and I figured if you wanted me to know, you'd tell me. We're best friends, and we've always told each other everything. At least, we used to. But today I brought your mail in, and you had more than bills in there."

With that, Kenzie reached under her bed and pulled out the small box full of simoleons. She had the letter in her pocket.

Jillian took one look at the box and burst into tears.


"Kenzie, this isn't what it looks like."

"It isn't? Well, what it looks like is that Drake is paying you off for something ,which is indicated in this letter."

Kenzie withdrew the letter from her pocket. Jillian just cried harder.

"You have no idea what I'm going through!" she wailed.

"I might if you'd tell me! I'm your best friend! You're supposed to tell me these things! Since when do you start keeping secrets from me? And breaking the law?"

"I'm not breaking any laws."

"Then what do you call this? Excellent service? Is the guy paying you to get back together with him? And what does that have to do with me?"

Jillian finally looked up, mascara smudged in her eyes and tear tracks on her cheeks.

"All right, Kenzie. Fine. I'll tell you. But first I should start at the beginning."

"Where else would you start?"

"Kenzie," Jillian ignored her friend's sarcasm, "I didn't just ask you to come here for a vacation. I asked you here because I need your help."

No comments:

Post a Comment