Friday, March 2, 2012

Chapter 5 - Fantasy and Reality

Kenzie's inquisitions to all pet owners who reported their missing animals got her nowhere. No two stories were alike, either for possible suspects or unicorn sightings. By the time Kenzie was finished interrogating everyone, it was well past 6pm. Her stomach rumbled angrily. She decided to eat at the Koffi Cafe and then go back to the hotel.

The crisp fall air ruffled Kenzie's hair and the f.aux fur on her jacket as she dug into her spaghetti. She was getting very frustrated, not just with the lack of evidence in the case so far, but also with her confusion over Austin. The two were only friends, who just happened to have dated back in high school. That didn't mean anything now. So why did her heart speed up at the thought of him, and why had her body felt like it had been on fire when he'd hugged her? What was wrong with her?


After she finished her dinner, it was already dark. Kenzie went back to her car and headed back toward the hotel. But something in the distance caught her eye. It looked like a pink aura, stretching up toward the night sky. The prism then changed colors, from green to red to blue to white. Kenzie was captivated by it, and she couldn't help driving toward it to see what it was.

The aura got brighter and brighter as Kenzie got closer. The road ended at a lovely fishing spot, which had a cascading waterfall flowing into a pond. A falcon screeched nearby and Kenzie thought she saw a turtle scamper around. But what she saw next made her jaw drop.

For there, eating hay underneath the majestic aura, was a beautiful horse with white and tan spots and a reddish-brown mane and tail with a red and white horn protruding from its head. There was no mistake - what stood before Kenzie was not a horse, or even a wild horse, but a unicorn.


Kenzie went to grab her camera so she could get a picture of this beautiful creature that was no longer a myth. But she couldn't get a good view from inside her car. She slowly and quietly opened the door and stepped out. The unicorn didn't budge. Kenzie crept closer and closer until she could zoom in on the unicorn and get a picture of it.


The camera's flash made the unicorn swivel its head around sharply to glare at her. Kenzie was entranced, but she didn't want to anger this creature. Its horn looked pretty sharp, which would make it a good weapon.

The unicorn looked at her with its two different colored eyes, one green and one orange-yellow. Something about it filled Kenzie with a sense of serenity, so she placed the camera back in her car and began walking toward it with her hand outstretched.

Most, if not all, animals warm up to a person by sniffing their hand first. Kenzie allowed the unicorn to do so. Its warm muzzle tickled her palm as it took in her scent.


Kenzie broke into a smile as the unicorn lifted its head back up and looked at the sky. It swished its mane, and Kenzie saw that it had a beard. Her research had said that male unicorns had beards, which made perfect sense. Kenzie now knew even more about this enigmatic creature standing right in front of her.

The unicorn suddenly lifted its head high and then whinnied loudly. Kenzie took a step back, frightened that she'd somehow angered him. He then took off running, leaving a trail of sparkles behind him.


Kenzie watched the unicorn disappear into the night, mystified. She would have to look up the unicorn sightings again and see if anyone had seen one that looked like the male she'd just seen.

She was heading back to her car when she saw a deer grazing nearby. Unfortunately, she didn't get a picture of it before it scampered away in fear.

When she got back to the hotel, she hastened to take a shower before she could begin her research. There were several claims of different kinds of unicorns being seen, all different colors, and some female, but so far nothing about the spotted one she'd seen tonight.


An instant messenger window popped up, and Kenzie was thrilled to see Logan online.

WolfKen: Logan! You’ll never believe what happened tonight!

TheHawk: I might not unless you tell me. What’s up?

WolfKen: I saw a unicorn! I was heading back to the hotel after I ate dinner, and then I saw this weird glowing aura. So I followed it and ended up at this fishing spot, and there was a unicorn underneath the aura! It was white and tan spotted, and it had a reddish brown mane and tail, and it had a red and white horn on its head. I got a picture of it!

TheHawk: You're right, I'll never believe you. You seriously think you saw a unicorn?

WolfKen: No, Logan, I DID see a unicorn. I even got a picture of it.

TheHawk: Are you sure you weren’t seeing things? One thing we’ve learned so far in class is that eye witnesses aren’t always the most reliable source. They might remember seeing something they didn’t, or they saw something wrong. Based on the questions they’re asked, they might subconsciously remember something that didn’t happen at all. Are you sure you weren’t just hoping to see a unicorn, and then you actually saw one?


Kenzie was appalled. Logan didn’t believe her? That was preposterous! She’d seen that unicorn with her own eyes, and it hadn’t been her imagination. And she could prove it.

WolfKen: Logan, I’m well aware of that eye witness testimony theory you just gave me. But didn’t you read what I typed? I saw a unicorn, and I got a PICTURE of it. Should I show it to you to convince you that I might actually be telling the truth? I can’t believe you don’t believe me.

TheHawk: I just don’t think those sorts of things exist. I’m sorry, but not even a picture can convince me. Besides, it was dark, right? You could have imagined seeing a horn on a wild horse’s head, and you’d see it again in the picture you took in the dark. I bet I won't see any trace of a horn in the picture, and I don't intend to waste my time looking for one when it won't be there in the first place.

WolfKen: Wow, I never expected you to react this way. I thought maybe you’d be more open-minded, maybe even excited for me. You’re not being very supportive.

TheHawk: Well my bad, I don’t have time to worry about fantasies when I’ve got real work to do with college. Need I remind you it was YOUR idea that I go back to begin with?

WolfKen: Excuse me? You wanted to go back and I just gave you a little push. What is with you?

TheHawk: Hey, nothing’s with me. I think you should be asking yourself that question. You’re letting rumors about a mythical creature alter your judgment to logical solutions, so you start seeing things. I’m trying to save you from yourself.

WolfKen: Well, I don’t need saving. I think you’re the one that needs to open your eyes.

TheHawk: I’m seeing very clearly. Clearly enough that I’m not needed for this big case. You’ve got your high school buddy to help you out with that.

WolfKen: Are you serious right now? This is all about jealousy. It has nothing to do with what I may or may not have seen – which, by the way, I did – but everything to do with your insecurity. I never took you for that kind of person, Logan. You surprise me.

TheHawk: I’m not insecure, I’m just saying you could have asked me, but you were all “no, I’ve known this guy since high school, I trust him, he lives here, blah blah blah”. How do you know the guy isn’t using you? How do you know he’s not the guilty one?

WolfKen: Okay, that’s it. Austin would never do that. He’s a good person, and he’s nice and he’d never do anything to hurt animals, and he wouldn’t make up rumors. He said he hasn’t seen a unicorn, just rumors of one.

TheHawk: Whatever. I’ve got work to do, and I don’t want to hear any more about that stupid unicorn. I’m focusing on the reality here, and I suggest you do the same.

Logan signed off, leaving Kenzie fuming. What was up with him? For her boyfriend, he wasn’t being very supportive.


As Kenzie was thinking this, Jillian signed in. Kenzie wrote to her right away.

WolfKen: Jill, I’m so glad you’re here. I need to talk to you.

LifesABeach: Whatever it is, I didn’t do it.

WolfKen: This is serious. You just missed Logan, and we had our first fight. Well, our first fight while we were in a relationship.

LifesABeach: Oh man…what happened?

WolfKen: Remember how you, me, and Austin were talking about unicorns? I saw one tonight.

LifesABeach: You did? That’s awesome! What did it look like? How did you find it? Did it really have magical powers?

WolfKen: I saw this aura kind of shooting up into the air, so I followed it and ended up at a fishing spot. There was a unicorn underneath the aura. It had white and tan spots and it had a red and white horn. Now that I think about it, it kind of looked like a candy cane. But that’s beside the point. I didn’t see it use any magical powers, but when it ran, a bunch of sparkles followed it.

LifesABeach: Wow, I wish I could have seen that! Did you get pictures, Ms. Detective?

WolfKen: Of course, but they may not do any good. I was probably just seeing things.

LifesABeach: What? Where’s this coming from?

WolfKen: That was sarcasm, you just can’t tell over text. That’s what Logan and I were arguing about. I told him all about it and he insists I’m just seeing things. Apparently I wanted to see a unicorn so badly that I imagined I saw a horn on a wild horse, and I’d see the same in the pictures I took because it was dark outside. My camera has a flash for crying out loud, and I didn’t imagine the aura or the sparkles.

LifesABeach: He didn’t believe you? Why would he think you’d make something like that up? If you thought you’d seen things, you would have told him that. I know you. Sounds like he needs to pull his head out of his butt, because he’s the one seeing things. Or not seeing things from the sounds of it.

WolfKen: That’s not even the worst part. He’s totally jealous that I’m hanging out with Austin, although he's reluctant to admit it. I told him that Austin was an old high school friend, and that he knows the town very well so he can help me out. Logan was offended and downright hostile about that. He wondered why I couldn’t have just asked him for help to begin with. Yeah, like he can help me from Twinbrook, where he’s supposed to be concentrating on classes. He even threw that in my face, saying it was my idea that he go back to college!

LifesABeach: Okay, that guy is an ungrateful jerk. I haven’t met him, and now I think if I do, he’ll get a piece of my mind. I can’t say I like him very much, Kenzie. And not to be negative, but it sounds to me like he’s really controlling. He runs the show, and what he says goes. Or so he thinks.


Kenzie had to think about that. Logan had been saying some pejorative things, and she remembered how easily she’d succumbed to his seducing charms back in Twinbrook. The next day, he’d more or less declared her his girlfriend.

Of course, she had accepted the offer, but still. That did sound like he was running the show.

Just then, Austin signed in. Kenzie didn’t hesitate before adding him to the conversation she was having with Jillian.


WordToTheNerd: Good evening, ladies!

LifesABeach: Hey Austin! Not so good of an evening for Kenzie, I’m afraid.

Now, why did she say that? Was nothing sacred anymore?

WordToTheNerd: That’s unfortunate. What’s going on, Kenzie?

WolfKen: Well, it’s a long story, but basically I saw a unicorn tonight, and I told Logan about it, and he didn’t believe me. He claimed I was seeing things subconsciously, and that the pictures I took would just show a horse and I’d imagine the horn on its head because it was dark outside.

WordToTheNerd: He’s not a believer, huh?

WolfKen: No, he’s not. I’m starting to suspect he isn’t a believer in trust, either. He was so lucid about me getting help from you on this case instead of him.

LifesABeach: I haven’t met the guy, but I told Kenzie that from the sounds of it, he needs a good kick in the hiney.

WordToTheNerd: My apologies Kenzie, but it sounds like Jillian’s correct in that statement.

LifesABeach: The guy’s a total control freak. He’s a dominator, Kenzie. I don’t think he’s the guy for you after all.

WolfKen: Jill, we’ve only had one fight. It happens to couples. Some say it’s healthy to have conflict in a relationship. It’s how you overcome it that matters.

LifesABeach: Kenzie, there’s a difference between little lovers’ quarrels and full-out control. I won’t tell you what to do, except to be careful.

WolfKen: I will be, I promise. But you guys believe me about the unicorn?

WordToTheNerd: Of course we do. I wish I could have seen it. Can you send me the pictures? How did you even manage to see it, anyway?


Kenzie repeated her story of encountering the unicorn while sharing copies of the pictures she’d taken. Both Jillian and Austin expressed their bliss over the pictures, and they confirmed that a horn was present on the creature's head. It should be, considering Kenzie's camera is a high-quality one used for gathering evidence.

After about another half hour, the three decided to turn in for the evening. Kenzie didn’t go to sleep right away. She lay on the bed, outside the covers, contemplating everything that had just happened.

Her best friends believed her about seeing the unicorn, but her boyfriend didn’t. Kenzie was sure even her parents would have believed her had they known about it.


Kenzie sighed before finally burrowing under the covers and turning out the bedside lamp. It was so frustrating that Logan had behaved in such an irrational way. She thought of what Jillian had said, but shoved that from the recesses of her mind. Every couple had fights at one point or another. It just seemed harder to Kenzie because this was her and Logan’s first fight as a couple.

As she drifted off to sleep, she knew it would blow over. But her first priority was to solve this case.

No comments:

Post a Comment