Friday, March 2, 2012

Chapter 3 - Catching Up

Kenzie had spent the remainder of her evening looking up information on unicorns in Appaloosa Plains. All sites she found confirmed what Chief Allington and Austin had already told her - that unicorns can vary in appearance and are said to have magical powers, some good and some evil. It was also stated that unicorns only appeared at night, from when it first got dark until dawn began to break. When she went to bed at last, it was well past midnight.

She set the alarm and was awakened the next morning at 8am sharp. She groaned, regretting her inability to quell her research the previous evening until such a late hour. She wanted to roll over and go back to bed, but she'd promised Austin she'd meet him at his house at 10:00.


As always, the hotel room didn't have a kitchen. Food was supplied in the hotel's open cafe. But Kenzie wasn't hungry, so she figured, for the time being, she'd skip breakfast. She was, after all, trying to lose weight, and limiting her intake of foods by eating only when she was hungry was as effective as going to the gym, right?

Kenzie got out of bed, stretched, and began rummaging through her suitcase for something to wear. She wanted to dress somewhat nicely for when she saw Austin again. The two had been each other's first dates, first kisses, first loves, and even first woohoos. But when the time came for college, Kenzie decided to go to Twinbrook while Austin chose to remain in Riverview. The two had mutually parted ways, convinced that they weren't mature enough to handle a long-distance relationship. But they'd remained friends through all these years, they just hadn't seen each other in person for a while.

Logan, on the other hand, was Kenzie's first long-distance relationship. He was living in Twinbrook and had recently gone back to school to study to become a private investigator, which had always been his dream. He kept trying to convince Kenzie to move to Twinbrook with him, assuring her that the town could use a detective like her. But Kenzie was adamant to stay in Riverview. It was her home, and it always had been. She'd been born and raised there, and she didn't want to leave it.

Though with her mother's midlife crisis, a vacation was sure nice.

Funny that as she was thinking that, her cell phone rang. She checked the ID and saw that it was her father. He was most likely in his basement den, probably hiding from his wife's mood swings.


"Hey, Dad."

"Hey, Kenzie! How's it going? Your mom told me you were heading to Appaloosa Plains."

"Yeah, I'm here now. I was going to adopt a pet, but it turns out there's a case to solve here anyway. Some jerk is stealing pets for some reason."

"What? Now I've heard everything. And that includes your mother telling me that she wants to change jobs now."

"Oh geez, really? She doesn't want to be a paramedic anymore?"

"I hope it's just a phase. I asked her what she'd like to do, but she says she doesn't know, just something different. She's still wanting that hot tub, too."

"Are you going to give in?"

"I doubt it. I don't know where she thinks we can put that thing unless we take out the vegetable garden. But this is Riverview, it's nice to have our own vegetables every once in a while. I doubt she'd even use that hot tub, considering how much she hates running around in a swimsuit. I don't even own one of those things since I can't swim, and there's no way I'm going skinny-dipping."

"I'd really appreciate that, and I'm sure the whole neighborhood would too. I just wish I could do something to help. Mom called me yesterday and kept asking when she'd get to see her only daughter get married and start a family."

"Yeah, she mentioned that to me too. I'll admit, I wouldn't mind being a grandpa, but I want you to find the right guy and not have a kid just to satiate your mother."

"I still want you guys to meet Logan sometime, it's just been so hectic for both of us."

"I can imagine. Anyway, I was just calling to see how you were doing. I'll let you get to work. I'm doing some overtime from here at home. I may be CEO of a mega corporation yet!"

"Well good luck with that."

"Thanks, and tell Austin hi from me and your mom. We miss seeing him around town."

"I will. Talk to you later. Don't work too hard."

"No promises. Bye!"


Kenzie disconnected the call and glanced at the clock. It was now almost 9:10. She could be a little early, but she decided to spend a little more time looking up information on unicorns. Or seeing if anyone was online to chat with.

To her delight, Logan was. It was Sunday, so he had no classes.

WolfKen: Logan! How are you?

TheHawk: Doing good, it's great to hear from you! What's up?

WolfKen: I'm in Appaloosa Plains. I came here because I want to adopt a pet, and there's actually a case.

TheHawk: Geez, you're a case magnet. What's this one? Maybe I can put my growing PI skills to use.

WolfKen: Have you even learned that much? School's only been going for a couple of months.

TheHawk: Yeah, I've learned quite a bit so far, but nothing compared to what's in store for me, I'm sure.

WolfKen: Well, the case is that someone is kidnapping animals around town. Pets and wild animals are disappearing, and no one knows why. Although some people think it might be a unicorn taking them, but I'll believe that when I see it.

TheHawk: A unicorn? Oh please. They're just using that as an excuse. How do you know the people making up those unicorn rumors aren't the ones that are guilty?

WolfKen: I doubt they'd kidnap their own pets, much less anyone else's. I did some research on unicorns, and there are sites stating that they usually appear at night, but their appearances can vary. They also supposedly have magical powers, which would explain how the animals could just disappear.

TheHawk: Do you actually believe that mumbo jumbo?

WolfKen: Well, I have to look into every claim from every angle to find out the truth. But I pretty much have to see something to believe it.

TheHawk: Trust me, there isn't a unicorn running around on some magical vendetta, kidnapping other animals. That's just stupid. It's a rouse to keep people from finding out the truth, which is that humans are responsible.

WolfKen: How do you know that?

TheHawk: I don't, I'm just stating what the obvious would be. I don't believe in unicorns or any of that other mythical stuff. I don't think a unicorn is your crook here.


Kenzie sighed. One thing about Logan - he was very stubborn and adamant in his beliefs.

She stole a glance at the clock and realized that now she'd better head out to see Austin.

WolfKen: Hey, Logan, I have to go now. I promised a friend I'd meet him to talk about the case.

TheHawk: A friend? Who do you know in Appaloosa Plains? And why are you discussing an ongoing investigation with him?

WolfKen: I've known him for years, and he knows this town very well. Plus he's literally a genius, so he'll probably be able to help.

TheHawk: And I wouldn't be?

WolfKen: Don't be so pessimistic. You're in Twinbrook, going to college right now, and I'm working. And I just happen to be in the same town as a good friend who knows a lot about the town I'm in. Relax. I'll talk to you later, okay?

TheHawk: Fine, good luck. Try to stay out of trouble. Don't let some psychopath kidnap you again and try to cast a spell on you. Like a unicorn.

WolfKen: Very funny. I'll be careful. Bye.


Kenzie logged off her instant messenger, grabbed her car keys and evidence kit, and headed out the door.

********************

Austin lived on 1875 Trex Hill, which was pretty far away from the Ranch Inn. Kenzie's GPS guided her there safely, and she arrived with a few minutes to spare.

She got out of the car and looked up at Austin's house...


...and couldn't stifle a gasp. Wow, his job was really paying off! Austin had originally wanted to become a teacher, and he'd gone to college for it, but there were no available teaching jobs after he graduated. He'd therefore taken the next best thing, which for him was working at the science facility. Because he was such a genius, that seemed only logical.

The house was beautiful, with a two-car garage and rounded porch with the top of a stable protruding from the rear end of the lot. There was also a windmill in that vicinity, and the golden trees of autumn gave the place a very beautiful appearance.


Kenzie took a deep breath and ascended the stairs on the front porch. A bone-shaped doormat greeted her feet as she rang the doorbell. A dog's shrill bark sounded from behind the door, and within a matter of seconds, a young man opened it.

Kenzie thought for a moment that she had the wrong house. For the man in front of her was nothing like the Austin Kenzie knew from high school. That Austin had had glasses and very prominent freckles. That Austin hadn't had barely concealed muscles visible underneath his shirts. That Austin was what many people in high school called a dork.


But this man...he wore no glasses, his freckles had somewhat disappeared over the years, and there wasn't a trace of any dorkiness to him. If one hadn't known he was a genius, they'd think of him as a...well, almost like a model.


"Austin?" Kenzie asked skeptically. "Is that you?"

"Of course it's me," Austin chortled. "Do I really look that much different?"

"Well..."

Kenzie felt her face turn about ten shades of scarlet. Yes, Austin looked different. Different in a good way...

Just then, the dog that had been barking behind the closed door barreled out from behind the door and jumped on Kenzie, planting a lick on her face.

"Rascal!" Austin scolded. "Down! That's no way to treat a guest!"

Rascal kept licking until Austin's petulant clap sent him back inside the house.

"Come on in," he said to Kenzie, who followed him inside. The interior of the house looked as good as the exterior. It still had the hints of a typical bachelor pad, but not quite like Logan's. This house was pretty tidy in comparison.

Kenzie was taking it all in when Rascal approached her again. This time, she held out her hand and he sniffed it with curiosity.


"That's better," Austin declared when he saw this. "Sorry, he's really hyper so he gets that way when someone comes to the door."

"That's okay. He's so cute! Now I want a dog more than ever."

"Don't want a cat like Jillian?"

"Cats are okay, but I prefer dogs. Ever since I was little, that's what we had as an official family pet. I'd randomly adopt stray cats but they always ran away. I find dogs to be more loyal."

"Yeah, I've had Rascal since he was a puppy. Usually he's really shy though. But I guess dogs can judge a person better than people, because he took right to you. Dogs can sense if a person likes animals or not."

"Well, I'm an animal lover, and an animal rights activist, so I can see why he took to me."

"Are you a member of SETA?"

"I want to be, but I think you have to be a vegetarian to join that. And I couldn't give up meat. That sounds hypocritical, I know. But I can't help it! I was raised to eat beef."

"Hey, you and me both."


Kenzie grinned. It was great to be catching up with Austin. Most couples that broke up in high school never saw each other again, much less stayed civil to one another. But she and Austin were very good friends. She sometimes still thought of her high school years. She'd always been told to enjoy high school, because they would be the best years of her life. She hadn't believed it then, but now that she was out in the world, she realized the truth of that statement. She didn't live in the same town as her friends anymore, and she didn't have the same boyfriend, but both were still in her life. She was very lucky compared to many others after they graduated.

"Have you had anything to eat?" Austin broke into her thoughts.

"Not yet, I wasn't really hungry. I'm trying to lose weight. You probably noticed that I've put on quite a bit since high school."

"The last I heard, you were a size 12, and that happened because of some jerk in college that cheated on you. I wish I could have been there for that. Jillian didn't get to beat him up, but I would have."

"Thanks, but it's okay. I wanted to be more carefree, but I guess I was too carefree when it came to snacks. Why do the things that taste the best have to be the worst things for your health and waist line?"

"That's one mystery of science I'll never know, apart from the fact that the ingredients used to make such delicious confectioneries are in themselves highly fattening and unhealthy with their sugar and sodium content, not to mention cholesterol."

"Yeah...in short, it's addicting stuff that makes us guilty after we eat it."

"Oh, Kenzie. I don't think you're fat at all. You still look great to me. Even after all this time, you're still really pretty."

"Thanks, but you don't have to try to flatter me. I can handle the truth."

"That was the truth."


Kenzie felt her cheeks flaring up again. Austin was always the nicest guy she ever knew. Well, apart from Logan. He was nice, just very opinionated. But that was to be expected, living with a family who didn't encourage him to pursue his dreams, forcing him to become a bounty hunter. That is, until he decided to go ahead and return to college to study to become a private investigator.

"What do you say we go get something to eat?" Austin suggested. "We can discuss the case then, and I can tell you all about anyone who's been mentioned in the paper regarding the missing pets."

"That sounds good. Where shall we eat?"

"I'll take you. My treat."

"No, really, you don't have to."

"I insist. Think of it as a town welcoming party."

"But..."

"No buts. Now come on, we'll take my car."

Kenzie couldn't argue any further, since Austin was already holding the door open for her. She scooted outside, waited for Austin to lock up, and then they both walked to his two-car garage. Only it turned out only one car was in the garage. The other stall, Austin informed her, was used as a workstation. He had a bike in there, an old tractor that needed fixing up, a chemistry table, work bench, and even a snake terrarium (though it was currently empty).

"I do have a lizard though," Austin affirmed as he drove through town when Kenzie remarked on the snake terrarium. "Her name's Lizzie. I'll have to show her to you later."

Kenzie just giggled. She looked out the passenger side window as the town of Appaloosa Plains flashed by, the trees combining together like an oil canvas. And she felt something she hadn't felt in a long time - she felt truly relaxed and content. What did that mean?

Obviously, it meant that everything was going to be all right. She had a good feeling about this case. It would be solved, and everything would be just fine.


No comments:

Post a Comment