Friday, March 2, 2012

Chapter 2 - Tranquility

Hidden Springs was filled with several spas. Kenzie and Jillian had agreed to try them all out during their stay, but as a compromise, they first went to the Serenity Salon and Spa, which was a spa with a salon attached to it.


"I'm so excited!" Jillian declared from the passenger's seat. "This is going to be the best vacation ever! Well, unless I get to Bridgeport and get to see all those celebrities."

"I didn't see many when I was there."

"True, but you were on a case."

"I know, but for some reason, I don't think being a celebrity is all it's cracked up to be. Think about it. You do one thing wrong, your face is all over the tabloids. You wear the wrong thing, you end up in a magazine's Don't Wear This section. You have zero privacy, and yeah it may be nice to have millions simoleons and fans, but what about the freaky stalker ones?"

"Where's this coming from? Personal experience?"

"No, I'm just really perceptive. This is what I gather from reading the paper."

"I don't know, I think the good would outweigh the bad. Here you'd have a great talent that you could share with the world and get paid a bundle for it, plus awesome outfits, your own personal stylists, everything!"

"Don't even get me started on the tiny detail that if a celebrity so much as gains weight, they're considered a failure. Just because someone's heavier than a size two doesn't mean they aren't talented and just as good as everyone else. In fact, a lot of heavier people are nicer than what some call normal people."

"Oh, Kenzie. Relax. You've got a boyfriend who thinks you're hot just the way you are, and you've got a great job doing what you love. You've got it made, girl!"

Kenzie pondered that, and she realized that yes, she may not have the perfect body, but she had pretty much everything she wanted out of life. As long as she was happy, what else mattered?

At last, the two pulled up in front of the salon. Its outward appearance gave it a very extravagant vibe. One door led to the salon while the other led to the spa. The two entered the latter and found that, surprisingly, the place was empty apart from some employees.

"I bet it's because this isn't one of the most popular spas," Jillian determined. "This one's just a little one attached to a salon. But there are two big ones right across the street. We should check them out!"

"We will, but you wanted to see the salon part first, remember? So let's just make the best of it. We get the whole place to ourselves."

"True. Let's hit one of the hot tubs!"

Jillian pulled her dress over her head to reveal her swimming suit underneath. She headed for one of the hot tubs while Kenzie went to the bathroom to change. She never could understand the concept of changing clothes in front of anyone else. She wasn't shy so much as self-conscious. Perhaps that came from years of changing in locker rooms where every other girl was no larger than a size six and they got their kicks making fun of her (back then) size ten. She was pushing a size eighteen now, but she didn't care. Her great boyfriend liked her just the way she was. Why give up things she enjoyed (like chocolate and candy) to appease those who considered only one body type in society to be acceptable?

Still, that didn't make it any easier dealing with judgmental girls in high school. If only she'd realized what true happiness meant back then instead of now, at 24.

At last, with her new bright pink swimsuit on, Kenzie stepped out of the bathroom with a towel and joined Jillian in one of the two hot tubs. Her friend had chosen the one with bamboo, which Kenzie found thoughtful due to her love of Asian culture. She saw that Jillian, like herself, had pulled her hair up into a ponytail.


"This feels so great," Jillian remarked after Kenzie had sat down next to her.

"Tell me about it. I could live like this."

"I could too. I bet celebrities live like this every day."

"Are you wanting to become a celebrity or something?"

"No, sometimes I just think how good they have it. They can have these gigantic houses and have more than enough money to pay for them. And half the time they get discounts or free stuff just because of who they are."

"Yeah, celebrities with plenty of money get things for free or at a discount, yet there are some people in the world who have to scrape the bottom of the barrel just to get food stamps. And what about those teenage stars? They're not even in their twenties and they're set for life. Sometimes I think society is majorly flawed."

"You sound so bitter."

"I don't mean to, I just see things from all sides. I guess it comes with the job."

Jillian playfully splashed Kenzie. "You and that job. I swear, if you didn't have that job, you wouldn't have anything."


Kenzie laughed as water sprayed her face and hands. But Jillian's statement got her thinking. What if she didn't have her job? Where would she be? Who would she be?

But she didn't have time to dwell on that. She looked out one of the large windows and saw the sun beginning to set. She hadn't realized how late it was.

"What time is it?" she asked.

Jillian consulted her nearby cell phone. "Wow, it's almost six. No wonder I'm hungry."

"Well we both got here around 3 or 4, then we unpacked, we talked, and all that. I guess it's no surprise. What do you say we get something to eat?"

"Sounds good, but if it's okay with you, can we just eat in? I don't want to spend all my money while I'm here, and I want to eat out as little as possible."

"No problem, I checked the fridge earlier and we've got some food in there."

"I hope it's not expired."

"It isn't, they stock it with brand new food before new people use the house."

"Good."

So the two got out of the hot tub, changed back into their clothes, and headed back to the house. Once there, Jillian volunteered to do the cooking, so Kenzie helped by setting the table. She also lit the fireplace. Just being in Hidden Springs seemed to put her in a very tranquil mood. Worries seemed millions of miles away (not that she really had any at the moment), and all that mattered was having fun these last few weeks of summer.

Jillian found some hot dogs in the fridge and began cooking them while Kenzie set the table. Once the water came to a boil on the stove, the two dug in after adding condiments (Kenzie preferred mustard and relish while Jillian had ketchup and mustard).


"So, what do you want to do tomorrow?" Jillian asked as they ate.

"We could check out one of those pools if you want. I bet there will be a lot more people there."

"Sounds good. I can't wait to break out my new swimsuit cover-up."

"Just what you needed. More clothes."

Jillian laughed. "Don't worry, I got rid of some of my older ones. Like the ones I bought at the consignment store. I don't need those."

Kenzie just shook her head as she bit into her hot dog. When she and Jillian were finished, they both did the dishes. Kenzie then went to take a shower. As the water cascaded down her body in a gentle and warm tirade, she thought some more about what Jillian had said at the spa. What if something bad happened and she lost her job? Where would she go? What would she do?


This thought was very pejorative. But she brushed that off with the realization that she still had her friends, family, and boyfriend. At worst, she'd have to find a different job. Besides, Jillian's demeanor and tone had indicated that she was only joking. Kenzie, having inherited her mother's dramatic trait, and being very perceptive, had looked too much into it and interpreted it wrong.

Stepping out of the shower, Kenzie dried her hair, put on her pajamas, and went back out to the front room. She saw Jillian watching TV and enjoying the warm fire. The evenings in Hidden Springs turned out to be cooler than either of them had contemplated. Thankfully there was a warm bed in the house.


"Ever the shopaholic," Kenzie joked as she saw that Jillian was watching the Super Shopping Channel.

"Hey, it doesn't mean I'll buy it," Jillian replied with a laugh. "I'm going to go take a bubble bath now. It'll feel as good as the hot tub!"

"Okay, I think I'll go message Logan."

"Say hi for me."

"I will."

Jillian turned off the TV and Kenzie poked the fire out before heading to the bedroom. Logan wasn't online, so instead she looked up some history of Hidden Springs.


The official Hidden Springs website told all about the people with green skin tints, the Fountain of Youth and how it worked, the rumors of magic, and the celebrities that lived in the town in the past, as well as some that still lived there.

The most famous celebrity to live in Hidden Springs to date was Alley Catraz, a five-star actress. Kenzie knew of Alley. She was one of those actresses that could play a part in any movie and look good. Comedies, horrors, romances, dramas, actions, whatever the movie was, Alley could pull it off. Kenzie was surprised she didn't live in Bridgeport, where there was a lot more fame. But then Kenzie remembered what she'd told Jillian only hours before - she'd probably gotten tired of having no privacy. Hidden Springs was supposed to help one escape from the mundane, so Alley had undoubtedly come here.

Jillian had spoken of seeing celebrities while they were here. Kenzie wouldn't mind seeing Alley.

After about ten minutes of reading up on Alley, Jillian came into the bedroom in her pajamas. "What are you looking at?" she asked.


"I'm reading up on Hidden Springs. Logan isn't on so I figured I'd check it out. Get this - Alley Catraz lives here."

"Here? In Hidden Springs? Why isn't she in Bridgeport?"

"It doesn't say, but I'm guessing it has something to do with those privacy issues I was telling you about earlier."

"Uh huh. Well, I'm getting tired, so I think I'm going to go to bed."

"Me too, I'm worn out from that drive."

Kenzie shut her laptop off and went over to the bed.

"So Logan wasn't on?" Jillian asked as she grabbed a pillow. "Wonder where he is."

"Probably getting ready for school. Maybe he's trying to get on a schedule. He'll have to get up earlier to get to his classes on time."

"Amazing. Your best friend and your boyfriend are both going back to school to accomplish their dreams, and you've already had yours for years. No fair!"

Jillian playfully bopped Kenzie with her pillow. Kenzie retaliated by bopping Jillian back with her own pillow. A pillow fight then ensued, as if the two were kids again.


At last, the two were laughing so hard they couldn't continue the pillow fight. They fell to the floor in loud guffaws. When they managed to pick themselves up and climb into bed, they were more tired than ever. But they still managed to catch up on recent happenings.


"How's your new house coming along?" Kenzie asked.

"Good, I've got all my stuffed moved into it. Well, the stuff I'm keeping and that I can afford. The rest got sold with the house. I just have to start unpacking. I can't wait for you to see it!"

"Be sure to send me pictures of it. I can't wait to see it either!"

"How are you and Logan? It's coming up on your, what, three month anniversary?"

"Yeah, but I don't know if we'll do anything special. I mean, if it was a year, sure, but three months? With him going to school? I don't know about that."

"Isn't it hard to have a long-distance relationship?"

"Sure, but I know we can handle it. This isn't the Stone Ages. We have technology now."

"Well, I hear about you and a long-distance relationship, and I think of you and Austin. That's why you two broke up."


Kenzie gaped at Jillian. Why in the world would she be bringing up her high school boyfriend?

When she asked this, however, Jillian just laughed and said, "Sorry, I guess I'm just tired. I just don't want you to get hurt again, that's all."

"Thanks. I don't think Logan will do that though. And Austin and I had a mutual agreement to break up. We weren't mature enough to handle a long-distance thing, since we were just out of high school and going to different colleges, trying to get on with our lives."

"Isn't he still living in Riverview?"

"No, the last I heard, he moved to Appaloosa Plains. I hear from him once in a while."

"Well, like I said, I just don't want you to get hurt. It took a lot for you to trust guys again, and I'd hate to see something happen."

"Thanks."


At last, Kenzie and Jillian decided to turn in for the night. They turned off the lights, crawled under the covers, and drifted into a deep sleep. Before she submerged into unconsciousness, Kenzie thought about how excited she was to be in Hidden Springs. She could feel that this was going to be one of the best vacations she ever had.

No comments:

Post a Comment