Thursday, March 1, 2012

Chapter 11 - Burning

Kenzie had wondered if there were any ends to Logan's talents. But as he'd proved last night, no, there was not.

It had been so long since Kenzie had been with a man that she'd almost forgotten what it was like. She loved the way Logan made her feel. He made her feel beautiful and special. He made her feel perfect. He made her feel human again.

The wall that Jillian had said was around Kenzie was now gone. Logan had bulldozed it, and for that, she was grateful. She happily spent the night in his arms.


When morning arrived, Kenzie rolled over to see Logan lying next to her, and she felt his arm laying protectively around her, holding her as he slept. She smiled as she looked at him. So what if he was a bounty hunter? He was a good guy. She knew that now. He'd been nothing but a gentleman to her, and even with her hair rain-matted, in his shirt, and with no makeup, he'd wanted her. And now, she wanted him more than anything. Her body was still burning from the amazing sensations the night before.

Logan stirred then, and opened his deep brown eyes to look into Kenzie's.

"Good morning, beautiful," he said as he rubbed his fingers along her cheek. Kenzie smiled and leaned down to kiss him.

"You don't hate me now, do you?" he asked teasingly.

Kenzie chuckled and said, "I never said I hated you."

"Well, you sure like me a lot more now."

"I can't argue with that."

Logan laughed and enveloped Kenzie in his arms. The two laid there cuddling for a moment before they realized they'd better get up.

"One good thing about the rain," Kenzie said as she started to get dressed in her undergarments, "is that no one could have started a fire last night."

"Better news is that it brought us together."

"That's the best news, yes."

"And technically, one fire did start. We started it."

"Yeah, but that's one fire that didn't have to be put out."

Logan wiggled his eyebrows and Kenzie shook her head at him with a grin on her face.

"I forgot to take your clothes out of the washer and put them in the dryer," Logan said as he pushed out of bed. "Sorry about that."

"I'll just wear your shirt until they're dry."

"Sure, but if you want to take a shower or a bath, go ahead."

"Thanks."

"Or, if you're feeling eco-friendly, we can save on water by showering together."

"Well, if you insist. But you have until the water starts running to get our clothes into the dryer or the deal's off."

Logan bolted out of bed and headed for the laundry room. Kenzie laughed and headed for the bathroom.

********************

Logan had made it to the bathroom in time, and when they got out, both of their clothes from yesterday were dry. Kenzie put hers on while Logan put on a different set.

Logan did lack one talent, however, and that was cooking.

"Sorry about this," he said as he served a simple meal consisting of bread and jam. "Cooking isn't my specialty."

"Hey, we all have our flaws."


"I've been wanting to ask you," Kenzie said as she took a bite. "What's that tattoo on your arm?"

"Oh, this?" Logan lifted his sleeve a bit to show the whole tattoo. "It's a hawk. I mean, look at my name. Hawkins. Plus, I've always liked hawks. So I figured, I might as well get a tattoo."

"I love wolves, but I'm scared of needles. I don't think I'd ever be able to get a tattoo."

"Hey, I'd go with you if you wanted me to."

"Well thanks, but I'm still too chicken right now."

"Okay, but if you ever change your mind, let me know. A guy should stick with his girl."

"So I'm your girl now?"

"After last night, I'd say so. Unless you don't want to be, and you're more the casual woohoo type."

"No way. I have to be honest, I've forgotten what it's like to have a boyfriend."

"Oh, come on. Someone like you must have guys falling over her all the time."

"Not me. You were right about that stereotype you mentioned before. About how I think you're a certain type of guy. Most guys, at least ones from Riverview, don't want someone like me. They want a super model."

"Well, they don't know what they're missing. You're nice, and you're pretty. You've got both going for you."

"Thanks."


Suddenly, there was the sound of sirens outside. Kenzie looked out the window and saw a fire engine go by.

"Oh no!" she exclaimed as she jumped up. Logan jumped up too, nearly knocking the table over. He bolted for the door. Throwing it open, he looked outside.

"They're heading east!" he said.

Kenzie was already on her phone asking for Tara. Luckily, and surprisingly, she answered.

"This is Chief Chandler," she said.

"Tara," Kenzie breathed, "what's going on? I heard sirens and I see fire trucks."

"Good thing you called now instead of later. I'd have had to tell you later, after it was probably too late to get any evidence."

"What are you talking about?"

"We just got a call. The Duncan house is on fire."


No comments:

Post a Comment