Thursday, March 1, 2012

Chapter 10

The girl, who introduced herself as Cecelia, was scared to ride in a car with Kenzie for fear of hurting her, so Isaiah rode in the backseat with her and held her in his arms while Kenzie drove to the police station. He also gave her some of his plasma juice to quench her thirst.

Kenzie couldn't believe it. There was a cure for vampirism. Isaiah wouldn't have to live like a monster any longer if he could get the cure. Kenzie was also wondering if the people who'd been turned into vampires against their will were the ones responsible for the murders. Perhaps the murders were accidents caused by new vampires who couldn't control their thirst. When they arrived at the police station at last and went into Carson's office, the chief almost fell out of his chair.

"Who's this?" he asked, pointing to Cecelia.

Isaiah held her at her request so she would be sure she didn't hurt anyone. Kenzie told Carson what Cecelia had told her and Isaiah. Cecelia then added everything she knew. Then she added the information about the cure.


"No one's supposed to know about it," she said, "because it would make it too easy for people to become a vampire and if they didn't like it, reverse it. It would be like playing a higher power."

"How long does it take for the cure to take effect?"

"I honestly don't know. I've never talked to my dad about it too much. He wasn't even supposed to mention it, but he told me, my mom, and my sister."

"Well, even if it is meant to be a secret, I think we should look into it. I'm going to give the science facility a call and ask if they can hand over a bottle, or whatever they're in."

"Please, don't. My dad will get in big trouble and might lose his job."

"I won't mention where we heard the information. I'll say it was an anonymous tip."

"Carson, won't they just deny it?" Isaiah asked.

"That's when I bring up the words 'warrant' and 'lawsuit'. One person knowing about it is better than several."

Carson then picked up the phone and dialed. He introduced himself and asked to talk to a superior. A few moments later, he said, "Yes, I've received an anonymous tip that your facility has a cure for vampirism. I have no idea how they found out, I just heard about it. No, it isn't illegal, but it is needed. There are several people who have been turned into vampires against their will, and we need to reverse it. There won't be any press involved. Hey, don't make me drag a lawyer into this. I can get a warrant if I have to. I'll need just one cure for the time being."

Carson stopped talking for a few minutes but nodded as he listened. At last he said, "All right, thanks. And you say the stuff works instantly? Great. How soon can you get it here? Tomorrow at the latest? That sounds fine. Thanks a lot."

Carson hung up the phone and looked at the three people in his office. "They'll give us one for you, young lady," he said to Cecelia, "but requested our silence in exchange for the same reasons you mentioned."

"I won't tell anyone," Cecelia said, and Kenzie and Isaiah also gave their words.

"I guess all we can do now is wait," Carson said. "However, we have confidential things to discuss. What can we do with you, Cecelia?"

"Why don't you and Kenzie talk?" Isaiah suggested. "I'll take care of Cecelia for the time being."

"Thanks Isaiah."

Isaiah steered Cecelia out the door. Kenzie then turned to Carson and said, "In all the excitement last night, I forgot to tell you something. As soon as I got to the hotel last night, I saw something in the window looking at me. And it had red eyes."

"Cecelia said whatever bit her had red eyes."

"I haven't seen many people with red eyes in my life, so I'm willing to bet it was the same person. Or vampire, I should say."

"This is getting out of hand. Vampires killing criminals, vampires spying on detectives, vampires turning unwilling people into vampires, and vampires drinking people's blood. What's next?"

"I don't want to know."

*****

The day went by quickly. The promised rain began to fall early afternoon. Carson received a call from the hospital saying the man from last night was going to make it, but barely. The district attorney wasn't pressing charges against the man for stealing the woman's purse, as that was his first offense and he hadn't even gotten away with it before being ambushed by vampires.

It got darker earlier due to the rain. Kenzie saw a few other vampires out and about today since the sun wasn't out. Around supper time, Carson and Kenzie went back to Waylon's for a quick meal. By the time they were finished, what little sun had already been in the sky had set and the town of Bridgeport was dark with the exception of the giant skyscraper lights.

"I'll see you tomorrow," Kenzie told Carson as they both headed back to their cars. "No problem," Carson replied as he waved goodbye from his car. Kenzie was about to get into her car when she got a phone call. Ducking under an awning to avoid the rain, she looked at the ID. She didn't recognize the number, but she answered it anyway.

"Hello?"

"Hello, Kenzie."

"Isaiah?"

"Yes, sorry, I guess I forgot to tell you that Carson gave me your cell phone number. I should have given you mine."

"It's okay, I've got it now thanks to the ID."

"Oh, good. I was just calling to inform you that we returned to the police station to check up on things and the science facility had already sent the cure. Of course, it was in an enclosed package addressed to Carson, so I offered to take it to his office."

"Oh, well he just left Waylon's. He's on his way back to the station now."

"Ah, all right. Well, I was also calling you for other reasons."

"And what would that be?"

"I should have said something sooner, but I'm calling to warn you. I certain that I know who's behind all these killings."

"You knew? Why didn't you tell me? And what are you warning me about?"

"I didn't tell you sooner because I had no idea. I'm hesitant to even tell you now because I don't want you to get hurt. I just recently found out who's responsible, thanks to my mind reading ability. But I can't get into contact with Carson, and I think the killers know you're on to them. I have this feeling that I need to get to you, as though something is going to happen. Where are you?"

"Isaiah, who's doing this? Who's committing all these murders?"

But before Kenzie could hear Isaiah's response, she felt a sharp pain on her head. Her eyes rolled back and she felt her legs buckling beneath her. Then everything went black.

No comments:

Post a Comment